November 24, 2015
Chancellor Cynthia Barnhart has charged organizations we lead, namely the Committee on Academic Performance (CAP) and the Office of the Dean for Undergraduate Education (DUE), with reviewing the undergraduate withdrawal and readmission policies at MIT. We are writing to update the community on our progress and to solicit input to our review.
November 12, 2015
Last week, Isaac Silberberg published an op-ed in The Tech accusing the MIT Arab Students Organization (ASO) and Palestine@MIT of bringing a “9/11 supporter,” Mads Gilbert, to campus. As I read Isaac’s article, I felt his pain in losing a friend during the terrible attacks that befell our country fourteen years ago. I also felt apprehension and concern, because I knew what would happen after the op-ed was read by others: suspicion would fall once more upon MIT’s Arab community at large. I am not part of the ASO or Palestine@MIT, but I have many wonderful friends who are. Did Silberberg think these kind-hearted and intelligent people (in other words, typical MIT students) would bring a terrorism sympathizer to campus?
November 12, 2015
MIT is home to a large number of international students on F-1 student visas. In the 2014-2015 academic year, 42 percent of the graduate student body was composed of international students. Most of these students apply for the Optional Practical Training (OPT) program after graduation in order to work in the U.S. in their field of study. Every international student who completes a post-secondary degree in the U.S. on an F-1 visa is eligible for 12 months of OPT. Since 2008, those who complete a degree in a STEM field have also qualified for a one-time 17-month extension of OPT. This extension, however, was recently challenged in court by the Washington Alliance of Technology Workers, and this August, the District Court for the District of Columbia vacated the STEM OPT Extension on the grounds of procedural deficiency. The court order is set to take effect in February 2016.
- Why is a supporter of the 9/11 attacks being hosted at MIT? (11/5/15; 39 comments)
- Trust in economists (11/5/15; 2 comments)
- LETTERS TO THE EDITOR (10/29/15; 3 comments)
- GUEST COLUMN: MIT’s Climate Plan doesn’t add up. So we’re sitting-in. (10/29/15; 4 comments)
- Weather: Clear for Halloween Night (10/29/15)
- When terror hits close to home (10/15/15; 10 comments)
- GUEST COLUMN: Islam and the West (10/8/15; 3 comments)
- CORRECTIONS (10/8/15)
- LETTERS TO THE EDITOR (10/1/15; 1 comment)
- The always-entertaining Donald Trump (10/1/15)