October 21, 2014
With plenty of dark humor strung throughout the film, St. Vincent narrates the touching relationship between a grumpy, old alcoholic named Vincent (Bill Murray) and his young neighbor Oliver (Jaeden Lieberher). As Oliver tags along with Vincent during his daily routine, Vincent quickly takes Oliver under his wing, showing him the local race track, protecting him from a gang of bullies, and teaching him how to fight. As their relationship develops, Oliver realizes that despite Vincent’s miserable outward appearance, the old man’s heart is still in the right place.
October 14, 2014
Southern Air, the last album from pop-punkers Yellowcard, featured the prominent lyric “I’ve been here a while/ staring at the screen wondering what I’ll write.” It’s a sentiment I can empathise with. The ninth studio album from the Jacksonville quartet, made famous by their unique guitar-meets-violin rock sound, is the product of many factors, and to address any one without context of the others seems unjust. Music does not exist in a vacuum (technically because there’s no air to propagate sound waves, but allow me the metaphor), and this album has a great deal going on behind the scenes.
October 10, 2014
In my dreams sometimes I fly. I just take a really long step and then the next without my feet ever touching the ground. It is a peculiar yet precious feeling. The Quebecois troupe Les 7 Doigts de la Main (literally, the seven fingers of a hand), makes the dream a reality in their theater, dance, and circus crossover Traces, running in the Cutler Majestic Theatre in Boston’s Theatre District until October 12.
- REVIEW: Lehninger leads impeccable BSO (9/30/14)
- REVIEW: Off to the symphony (9/30/14)
- MOVIE REVIEW: A good old-fashioned action movie (9/26/14)
- CONCERT REVIEW: Boston Calling returns for round four (9/12/14)
- WORD IS BORN: The good kid is going back to school (9/9/14)
- WORD IS BORN: J Dilla: A lasting presence (9/2/14)
- INTERVIEW: The story behind Boston Calling (9/2/14)
- INTERVIEW: Understanding the power of art and architecture (8/29/14; 2 comments)
- MOVIE REVIEW: The Giver is just another dystopian movie (8/22/14; 1 comment)
- MOVIE REVIEW: Honesty drives Linklater’s Boyhood (8/6/14)