September 2, 2014
The Smithsonian Institution announced in July that equipment belonging to celebrated producer J Dilla (born James Dewitt Yancey) — a MIDI Production Center beat machine and a synthesizer custom-built for Dilla by Robert Moog himself — would be housed in the new National Museum of African American History and Culture, slated to open in 2016. The announcement came at the D.C. Loves Dilla Tribute Concert, courtesy of Ma Duke, who was there to see the crowd’s reaction to the memorialization of her late son’s legacy.
September 2, 2014
Even though only in its fourth installment, the three-day Boston Calling Music Festival is already becoming a landmark of Boston’s entertainment scene. The lineup for this week’s shows includes The War on Drugs, Lorde, The National, Nas with The Roots, and Future Islands. The Tech recently interviewed Brian Appel, co-founder of Boston Calling, to find out how the festival was conceived and what happens behind the scenes during the show.
August 29, 2014
Can art and architecture help heal cultural conflicts? Azra Akšamija PhD ’11 explores the power of art and architecture in resolving conflicts and identifying contexts in which these conflicts can be analyzed and explored. Akšamija is an Assistant Professor at the Art, Culture and Technology (ACT) program and MIT’s Department of Architecture, where she works as an artist and architectural historian in addition to teaching both undergraduate and graduate classes. She recently talked to The Tech about her origins, the ideas behind her projects, and her artistic vision of helping resolve the lingering conflicts in her native country, Bosnia and Herzegovina.
- MOVIE REVIEW: The Giver is just another dystopian movie (8/22/14; 1 comment)
- MOVIE REVIEW: Honesty drives Linklater’s Boyhood (8/6/14)
- RESTAURANT REVIEW: A beginner’s guide to Restaurant Week (8/6/14)
- ART REVIEW: Sometimes titles are deceptive (6/13/14)
- RESTAURANT REVIEW: It takes Argentinian steak to ta (6/13/14; 1 comment)
- MUSIC REVIEW: Summer sparks are in the air (6/6/14)
- MOVIE REVIEW: Godzilla is great eye candy, but not much of a story (6/6/14)
- BOOK REVIEW: Snowden’s revelations: the backstory (6/6/14)
- MOVIE REVIEW: Bringing the X-Men back to life (6/6/14)
- Boston Calling (6/6/14)