April 17, 2015
If you’ve seen House of Cards or Orange is the New Black, then you know that Netflix isn’t half bad at making awesome television series. On top of that, we all know that Marvel is pretty great too — whether you simply enjoy their movies or you’re a die-hard comic book reader, who can resist a good superhero story? Luckily for everyone eagerly awaiting Avengers: Age of Ultron or the next episode of ABC’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D, Netflix is here to save the day and satisfy your Marvel cravings.
April 17, 2015
It’s time to make good use of your HBO Go accounts — Game of Thrones season five launched this past Sunday, and if you haven’t had a chance to see the premiere, you have a couple of days to catch up before episode 2 airs. “The Wars to Come” picks up right where season 4 left off, reminding us of the events that nudged Westeros into a pit of chaos while hinting at the turmoil to come.
April 9, 2015
Try telling a wordless story in five minutes that inspires your audience and distills reality. At the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater (AAADT), this art is perfected by a team of performers as graceful and poetic as they are energetic and assured. Billed as a “ballet”, Alvin Ailey is refreshingly accessible and attracts a more diverse audience than the typical “Nutcracker” or “Swan Lake.” While generally following the forms of classical ballet, the show includes contemporary music and costuming, and small gestures like jazz hands or waving goodbye help turn dancers into relatable people.
- EXHIBIT REVIEW: Capturing experience (4/9/15)
- MOVIE REVIEW: Kumiko, the Treasure Hunter: An unexpected spin on the adventure movie (4/2/15)
- THEATER REVIEW: Love’s Labour’s Lost: A labor of love (4/2/15)
- CONCERT REVIEW: Afro-Latin jazz gains new fans (4/2/15)
- MOVIE REVIEW: Another disappointing adaptation of dystopian teen fiction (4/2/15)
- MOVIE REVIEW: A beautiful remake of a classic fairy tale (3/19/15)
- CONCERT REVIEW: Stravinsky, Debussy, and Brahms at the BSO (3/12/15)
- CONCERT REVIEW: Yo-Yo Ma’s modern-day Silk Road (3/12/15)
- CONCERT REVIEW: A night full of a cappella (3/12/15)
- CONCERT REVIEW: Of All the Flowers: Songs of the Middle Ages (3/12/15)