March 19, 2015
My home in South Dayton (now Kettering), Ohio, seemed a long way away from the MIT campus in the fall of 1954. Living in the East Campus quadrangle, I was restless and homesick, and having trouble sleeping nights. This situation led me to take a part-time student job as switchboard operator for East Campus on the late night or graveyard shift, as it was called. If I were going to be up all night anyway, I might as well get paid.
February 3, 2015
As the team captain of the Cambridge Blues Basketball Club pulled up to the rendezvous point in the heart of Cambridge, I and three other 2-meter gentlemen watched the cheeky fellow, grin in tow, pull up and declare: “All that was left boys. Hop in.” I was fortunate enough to play for the Cambridge Blues Basketball Club during my full year abroad at King’s College, Cambridge University, and the memory of that baby blue Fiat being pushed to its physical limits is something that I will cherish forever. The only thing missing from the car was a big red nose and a flower that squirted Lucozade (we had the comically large shoes, after all).
February 3, 2015
How hard is it to be in love with a complete stranger? According to Stony Brook University psychologist Arthur Aron, it’s as simple as a 90-minute, 36-question session. In his study, pairs of heterosexual strangers sat in the same room and asked each other a series of increasingly personal questions that fostered closeness. Several of the 33 pairs went on dates right after the experiment and one pair went to the altar six months later and invited the researchers to attend.
More Campus Life
- INTUITIVELY OBVIOUS: Our white privilege (12/9/14; 28 comments)
- Opening up (12/9/14)
- TAKE A STAND: More than a kick-off (12/9/14)
- INTUITIVELY OBVIOUS: Saying it loud (12/5/14; 1 comment)
- THURSDAY AFTERNOON REFLECTIONS: For the love of all material things (12/5/14)
- Events Nov. 25 – Dec. 01 (11/25/14)
- AFTERNOON REFLECTIONS: Traces to nowhere (11/25/14)
- SOCIAL INTERACTIONS: The hardest part (11/25/14)
- Institute Double Take (11/21/14; 1 comment)
- Events Nov. 18 – Nov. 24 (11/18/14)