October 24, 2014
Jose A. Gomez ’17 recalled sitting down his junior year of high school to contemplate his post-graduation plans. Like many now-undergraduates at the Institute, he had dreamed of applying to MIT for years but felt his chances of actually being able to attend were slim.
October 24, 2014
Being out and about during magic hour with a camera — the time right before sunrise and after sunset — is a great way to capture beautiful photos. The light is soft and tinged with warm colors. In the evening, the orange and yellow city lights illuminate the skyline, providing a nice contrast to the blue and purple skies. Everything glows. At 6:30 p.m. on October 8th, 2013, the sun had already set, and the sailboats were returning to dock in the fast waning rays of twilight. It was quite a colorful and serene scene, punctuated by the waxing crescent moon. A high aperture and ISO was used to keep as much of the scene in focus as possible. Even though the original was in color, a black and white version was created for a business that wanted a framed 30" by 30” print in their office. The original image was in 3:2, so a simple square crop wouldn’t work without cropping some of the sailboats. I used the content-aware resizing tool in Photoshop to keep the essence of the original image in the new aspect ratio, with the business’s approval.
October 21, 2014
More Campus Life
- Institute Double Take (10/17/14; 2 comments)
- Events Oct. 14 – Oct. 20 (10/14/14)
- Events Oct. 07 – Oct. 13 (10/7/14)
- IN YOUR COMMUNITY: Domestic violence awareness (9/30/14; 1 comment)
- Events Sept. 30 – Oct. 06 (9/30/14)
- A VIEW FROM THE FRONT: The People’s Climate March (9/30/14; 4 comments)
- SOCIAL INTERACTIONS: Sincerity on a day-to-day basis (9/23/14; 2 comments)
- Events sept. 23 – sept. 29 (9/23/14)
- Events Sept. 16 – Sept. 22 (9/16/14)
- Institute Double Take (9/16/14)