The Tech - Online EditionMIT's oldest and largest
newspaper & the first
newspaper published
on the web
Boston Weather: 23.0°F | Mostly Cloudy

New UA Web Site Tracks Progress of Year’s Goals

Communication: Any student government that wants to be effective needs to have good communication with many entities and the UA is no exception. We will improve communication.

UA Q&A: Institute a question and answer column in The Tech (http://www-tech.mit.edu/).

Column published each week answering questions sent to uaqa@mit.edu.

Completed and continuing.

Written by Rose Grabowski - Senate Vice Chair and Harel Williams - Committee on Student Life Chair (uaqa@mit.edu).

Establish Boston Globe contact: Develop relationship with reporter(s) at the Boston Globe in the interest of improving external communication.

None

Mid-November

Pius Uzamere (ua-president@mit.edu), Jacob Faber (ua-vp@mit.edu)

Enhance Role of Public Relations Committee: Expand Public Relations committee in the interest of improving internal information.

Appointed new chairs, actively recruiting new members.

Early November

Pius Uzamere (ua-president@mit.edu), PR Chairs (ua-pr-chairs@mit.edu)

Enhance Role of Nominations Committee: Expand Nominations committee to appoint undergraduates to UA, Presidential, Faculty, and Institute Committees.

Appointing new chairs, actively recruiting new members.

Early November

Ling Wong (ua-speaker@mit.edu), Rose Grabowski (ua-vicechair@mit.edu)

Utilize MITV: Broadcast UA events, such as Cabinet and Senate meetings on MITV (channel 36).

Talking with members of MITV, MITV repairing equipment

Early December

Pius Uzamere (ua-president@mit.edu)

Archive Cabinet and Senate meetings: Place such meetings in an online archive, on the UA Server.

Shopping for server and digital video recorder.

Late November

Harel Williams (ua-csl-chairs@mit.edu)

Plasma displays: Purchase digital displays to install around campus. These displays would present information and news regarding the UA, ASA, and ASA recognized groups.

Shopping for displays and meeting with relevant campus parties.

End of December

Jacob Faber (ua-vp@mit.edu), Ling Wong (ua-speaker@mit.edu), Harel Williams (ua-csl-chairs@mit.edu), John Velasco - UA Treasurer (ua-treasurer@mit.edu)

Boston Intercollegiate Government: Establish contact with area college representatives in order to communicate common issues and build an effective student political lobby.

MIT has delegates on BIG, and has made a financial commitment to the organization. BIG’s Web site is located at http://bostonstudents.com

Completed and continuing

Jacob Faber (ua-vp@mit.edu), John Velasco (ua-treasurer@mit.edu)

“DormStorm”: Host dinner discussions with UA members and dorm residents in Pritchett, McCormick, Baker, Next, and Simmons dining facilities.

Discussing best format for the discussions

Early November

Pius Uzamere (ua-president@mit.edu), Jacob Faber (ua-vp@mit.edu)

Written Evaluation of Pass/No Record Changes: A written report on the effects of removing Pass/No Record from the second term of freshman year. Data on how the policy change affected the grades, course loads, and extracurricular activities of freshmen will be collected and analyzed.

Planning within the Student Committee on Educational Policy.

March 2004

SCEP (ua-scep-chairs@mit.edu)

Student Center Live News Display: Place on the first floor of the Student Center screens and/or tickers that will continuously show live news channels. The purpose of this project is to help MIT students be more aware of current events.

Will be obtaining approval from Campus Activities Complex, researching various displays, gathering funds, and arranging for installation.

January 2004

Nikhil Nadkarni - Baker Senator (nikhiln@mit.edu)

Monitoring Speeds on Amherst Alley: Assess whether or not there is a need to better monitor vehicle speeds on Amherst Alley, and if there is such a need, look into possible solutions.

Figure out if speeding on Amherst Alley is a real problem that needs to be addressed, via one or more of the following methods: formally survey students, talk to MIT Police, and/or informal dialogue with members of the MIT community. If it seems there is a need, try to address it with one of the following solutions after conducting appropriate research and interviews: 1) More speed bumps 2) A radar gun screen 3) Additional speed limit signs.

Ongoing

Vivek Rao - BC Senator (vrao@mit.edu)

Election Source Code: To improve the accountability of the Election Commission and to allow other student groups to run online elections of their own, the Commission would like to polish and release some version of the software currently running student elections. This would most likely be under MIT license or GPL.

Codebase stable; being cleaned up and documented.

Ongoing

Election Commission (ua-elect@mit.edu)

Clarify Election Procedures in UA/Uniform Class Constitutions: To clarify voter/candidate definitions, exact role of Election Commission in elections, and methodology of elections, work with Class Council officers and UA Senate to specify and make any necessary changes to governing documents. The Election Code and Campaign Rules Document will also be reviewed in the process, but due to recent revision no major changes are expected.

A number of desired changes have been identified, and a bill is being drafted for Senate proposal.

Spring 2004 Election

Election Commission (ua-elect@mit.edu)

Concrete Change: The UA is implementing changes that students will be able to see immediately upon completion. We are very focused on making daily life better at MIT.

Daytime Shuttle: Facilitate the crossing of the Charles River through the Harvard Bridge Shuttle during the winter months.

DSL is ready to implement in November, currently exploring how budget cuts may or may not affect the schedule.

Early November

Coordinating Committee (ua@mit.edu)

Fields, Fences, and Safety: Integrating West Campus with a Real and Reasonable Policy - First, Simmons residents have inconsistent and unofficial access to the fields for recreational use. Second, all West Campus residents wishing to get to and from Simmons Hall find the Brigg’s field fence to be an inconvenience that further isolates MIT’s newest and highly celebrated undergrad dorm. This inaccessibility forces many to resort to climb over the fences which is unsafe, especially at night. The goal of this UA Senate project is to draft an official MIT policy on field access locations and times, and especially official paths to get across the field. The policy will be made with careful consideration of Varsity, IM, and club sports’ field usage.

The Director of Athletics, Candace Royer, and the Dean of Student Life, Larry Benedict, have always been aware of this issue and have already begun enthusiastically supporting this project. There are two implicitly official paths, which unfortunately entail walking around either side of the field. However, two new paths will be created. One path will be made through the parking lot abutting the western side of Brigg’s field. The second path will be made through the gates behind the baseball backstop and in front of Burton-Conner, just west of the outdoor track and “tennis bubble.” The gates which this path utilizes will also serve as field access points with a type of lock only accessible to students.

As these are short-term solutions to the West Campus, they will be expected to be completed within the fall term. I have been told that the “West Lot” path will be completed within two weeks. The “tennis bubble” path should be underway or completed by no later than mid-November.

Cameron Sadegh - Simmons Senator (sadegh@mit.edu)

East Side Student Space: Create a working group charged with the following: “We would like to create a UA working group to oversee the creation of a ‘Student Space’ on the East Side of MIT’s campus. The nature and location of this space is to be determined by the working group. Ideally, this space would emulate the success of the Student Center First Floor Lounge, with the possible addition of some basic electronic media. The management of this space will also be handled by the committee.”

The working group has been sent to the Nominations Committee; the member search is in progress.

Mid-November

Jacob Faber (ua-vp@mit.edu)

Operation Bike Racks: Increase the number of bike racks around campus “hot spots.”

Evaluating costs of bike racks. Surveying students where bike racks are most needed.

November

Jennifer Peng - Baker Senator (jpeng@mit.edu)

Kitchen Space for Non-Dorm Students and Student Groups: Acquire and renovate kitchen space for use by students on a walk-in basis, and for student groups by reservation.

Walker targeted as a good candidate for renovation.

January/February 2004

Katherine H. Allen - Off-Campus Senator (katallen@mit.edu)

Caretaker Charts for Excess Alcohol Consumption: A sign will be created to hang on the back of bathroom doors in all FSILGs that illustrates in a clear, flow-chart design appropriate care techniques and steps for an intoxicated person. The signs will be easily locatable and easy to follow so that a nervous or mildly intoxicated student caretaker can make sure that his/her friend gets the help s/he needs.

Getting in contact with Student Health Advisory Council and director of MIT Medical.

IAP

Robin Davis - Panhel Senator (robind83@mit.edu), Hannah Choe (hchoe@mit.edu) - MacGregor Senator

Gynecology Appt. Waiting Time Decrease: Decrease the waiting time for an appt. with the OB/GYN or find an alternative. The purpose is to make birth control more accessible to women in need and in a timelier manner.

Currently making the appropriate contacts, i.e. Student Health Advisory Council and director of MIT Medical

IAP

Robin Davis (robind83@mit.edu), Hannah Choe (hchoe@mit.edu)

Setting Security Guidelines Across Campus: The goal of this project is to make the security guidelines uniform across campus, such that dorm security access through each front desk/front door is the same. This reduces confusion for dorm residents and guests, while increasing security in some dorms and making security in others more practical.

Meeting with DormCon on Oct. 23 to discuss the issue

December

Hannah Choe (hchoe@mit.edu)

Athena Clusters in Fraternity Houses: The objective of this project is to install at least one computer with the Athena system for communal use in every fraternity that is interested in getting one. Athena machines come installed with Matlab and other programs that a lot of MIT students need to use. It also allows easy access to course folders which some professors choose to use to post homework and notes.

Contact every house, gauge interest and ask for feedback.

Late November

Tanzeer Khan - IFC Senator (tanzeer@mit.edu)

Resolving Freshman Scheduling Conflicts: We will try to prevent conflicts in freshman schedules, minimizing the need for newly arrived freshmen to change lecture and recitation times on Registration Day.

Planning within the Student Committee on Educational Policy.

Registration Day, Spring 2004

SCEP (ua-scep-chairs@mit.edu)

Assessment of Unit Adherence: Based on subject evaluations from previous years, we will assess how units awarded for a given class corresponded to the number of hours students reported working on the class.

Planning within the Student Committee on Educational Policy.

IAP

SCEP (ua-scep-chairs@mit.edu)

Zesiger Center Locker Allocation: Work with the department of athletics to improve the process by which Zesiger Center lockers may be purchased. From talking to students, many felt that the first-come, first-serve system used this year was confusing and wasted too much of their time.

Based on an evaluation of the current process, the Zesiger Center will be developing a lottery system for the next rental period. I’m in the process of setting up a meeting with the general manager of the Zesiger Center to discuss the proposed system further.

End of term

Seth Dorfman - Simmons Senator (sethd@mit.edu;

http://simmons.mit.edu/ua/)

Improve Candidate’s Meeting: Traditionally, candidates are only told procedure and rules at candidate orientation meeting. We’d like to change that so more information about the positions they’re running for is presented, possibly by inviting the current officers in those positions to say a few words.

Will begin once election schedule is set

Spring 2004 Election

Election Commission (ua-elec@mit.edu)

Modify Platform Format: To give the voter more concrete information and to make candidates think about why they are running and what they will do in office, asking all candidates one or two specific short-response questions in addition to the open platform.

Exact platform requirements in discussion with UA and Election Commission.

Spring 2004 Election

Election Commission (ua-elec@mit.edu)

Institute Wide Student Government Communications Committee: Develop and implement a structure for a committee composed of student government leaders from across campus to improve communications amongst these groups and to discuss large issues that affect student life.

First Meeting Oct. 22 8 p.m. W20-400

February 2004

John Velasco (ua-treasurer@mit.edu)

Improve Finboard Allocations Processes to Student Groups: Clarify process of allocations via online guides and templates for proposals, guidelines for funding, and improvement of the liaison program.

Initial brainstorming meetings with Finboard and ASA Representatives.

February 2004

FinBoard (finboard@mit.edu)

“Lunch with Larry” (Dean Benedict): Develop a series of monthly lunches with Dean Benedict for UA Senators, UA Cabinet Members, and leaders of other organizations in order to discuss current student issues in a casual atmosphere. Also serves as a means by which student leaders can get to know Dean Benedict on a more personal level, with the hopes that they will be able to approach him for assistance or guidance on their personal campus projects.

First lunch in October, schedule for year is set, but improvements in the structure of the lunches and process of selection for members invited will be improved.

Completed and continuing.

John Velasco (ua-treasurer@mit.edu)

Star Market Survey: Star Market is currently reviewing a proposal from MIT to accept the Tech Cash system. A survey will be conducted to quantify student support for this proposal. Information gained from the survey will be used to project future sales increase and given as a report to Star Market.

Milestones:

Write survey

Create online certificate based survey

Run survey

Analyze Data

Write Report

Submit Report to Star Market

End of semester

Reuben Cummings - Dining Committee Chair (ua-dining-chairs@mit.edu)

CoffeeHouse Reintroduction: Because of declining sales and serious financial losses. The 24-hr CoffeeHouse was forced to reduce its hours and later closed. Since then, the CoffeeHouse has been used very infrequently and only for special events. The closing only blocked off the counter leaving the remaining space as a student lounge/study area. This has given the CoffeeHouse a very ‘dead’ atmosphere which is far from the lively environment it once maintained.

Currently in contact with several groups that are interested in holding CoffeeHouse events

Ongoing

Reuben Cummings (ua-dining-chairs@mit.edu)

Campus Dining/Residential Dining: Since the recent introduction of Sodexho and Bon Appetit into the MIT Dining Community, many changes have been made to the Dining Programs including renovations, new menus, and new hours.

Conducted campus wide survey rating the MIT Dining Program

Ongoing

Reuben Cummings (ua-dining-chairs@mit.edu)

Tech Cash Expansion: Currently, only a few vendors outside of MIT, namely Domino’s, accept the MIT card (Tech Cash). A survey has been previously conducted to determine which restaurants students would most like to have accept Tech Cash. These restaurants will be targeted first for Tech Cash consideration.

Developed criteria for considering potential restaurants.

End of semester

Reuben Cummings (ua-dining-chairs@mit.edu)

Community: “Community building.” It’s become a popular buzzword recently. Despite the cynicism that stems from the vagueness of the term, we believe that it is important to build a strong community at MIT. Our campus is fortunate to have a diverse range of interests, cultures, and abilities that we do not always utilize. We believe that it’s not necessary to homogenize everyone in order to have community; rather, we should aim for appreciation of the different passions and cultures that we as a student body bring to the Institute.

Cultural Groups Coalition: Generate an incentive for ASA recognized cultural groups to interact with one another on a regular basis.

White paper outlining the goals and structure of this group is being edited.

February

Pius Uzamere (ua-president@mit.edu), Jacob Faber (ua-vp@mit.edu)

SEVISAC: Form a committee to accomplish the following: “The purpose of this committee is to (1) ensure that MIT is following this pledge of reporting only the minimum required information and to (2) generally safeguard the privacy rights of students affected by the SEVIS program. This committee will be expected to work with the International Students Office to audit the types of data being sent about students as well as obtain and publish other relevant statistics, culminating in a yearly or semesterly report, as appropriate. This committee will serve an important purpose in adding transparency to the SEVIS program and adding some accountability, in case privacy rights are being violated. Eventually, this will become a joint UA-GSC committee.”

The committee has been sent to the Nominations Committee; the member search is in progress.

Mid to late November

Pius Uzamere (ua-president@mit.edu)

Reschedule Interphase: Allow Project Interphase students (who are mostly underrepresented minorities) to attend Pre-Orientation programs.

Meeting with the Director of the Office of Minority Education to discuss options.

End of December

Pius Uzamere (ua-president@mit.edu), Jacob Faber (ua-vp@mit.edu)

Establish Communication with Off-Campus and Senior Segue Students: Establish mailing lists for discussion among and communication with off-campus (non-FSILG) students (off-campus-undergrads@mit.edu) and for Senior Segue students (senior-segue@mit.edu) and populate lists.

Lists created, Senior Segue list done, off-campus-undergrad list still missing people.

November

Katherine H. Allen (katallen@mit.edu)

2006 Class Morale/Unity: We plan to raise class morale and unity through many 2006-exclusive events designed to increase social interaction and relaxation. We will be heavily subsidizing tickets to “Matrix Revolution” the night before opening day and seats to “Les Miserables” at the Boston Colonial. The cast of ImprovBoston will also be coming to MIT in mid-November and performing in 10-250. Our second-semester events include the formal at the Top of the Hub in the beginning of March, an end-of-the-year beach party, study breaks, and holiday events. Our year long goal is to gather a team of students devoted to the creation of a class song.

Tickets will be sold in the weeks prior to each event at very low rates. The Web site announcing official dates will be arranged once our Webmaster is selected for the year.

Ongoing Timeline: Matrix Revolution, Nov. 4; Les Miserables, 1st week of December; Class Formal, beginning of March; Beach Party, last week of classes.

2006 Class Council (2006-council@mit.edu)

Sponsoring Community Service Events: We will be working with the Greater Boston Food Bank, Habitat for Humanity, and nursing homes in the local area to sponsor several weekend events/projects this semester. It is our objective to hold on-campus events during the second semester, including a science fair for local elementary school students, a carnival for the elderly, and other events as well. We hope to use the resources and members of the class of 2006 to increase awareness of the condition of the surrounding areas, and to help contribute to a more pleasant community.

We will be selecting a Community Service Chair after applications are submitted next week. E-mails will be sent to the class on a timely basis to invite students to join these projects.

Greater Boston Food Bank in late October; Home-building in late- November. On-campus events will take place next semester

2006 Class Council (2006-council@mit.edu)