MIT: Miscellaneous Institute TriviaBy Issel Lim
* On April 10, 1861, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology was incorporated by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
* MIT moved from Boston to a new Cambridge campus in June of 1916.
* The Latin motto of MIT, Mens et manus, meaning “Mind and hand,” appears on the official seal, which was adopted on December 26, 1864.
* The first president of MIT was William Barton Rogers, who served from 1862-70, 1879-81. Charles Marstiller Vest has been president since 1990.
* Senior Haus was initially occupied in July 1916. MIT then utilized the following buildings for living quarters (in chronological order): East Campus (separate parallels occupied in 1924 and 1931), Bexley Hall (1939), Baker House (1949), Burton-Conner (1950), McCormick Hall (separate wings occupied in 1963 and 1968), Random Hall (1968), MacGregor House (1970), New West Campus Houses (1976), 500 Memorial Drive (Next House -- 1981).
* Undergraduate program: In 2002, 10,664 candidates submitted final applications for the freshman class, and 1,724 (16 percent) were offered admission. Total first-year enrollment was 980; an additional 25 students transferred to MIT from other universities.
* Graduate program: In 2002, 16,133 candidates applied for graduate study. Of the 3,416 candidates who received offers of admission, 2,071, or 61 percent, registered in advanced degree programs at MIT.