The Tech - Online EditionMIT's oldest and largest
newspaper & the first
newspaper published
on the web
Boston Weather: 31.0°F | Mostly Cloudy

3 Wins, 2 Blowouts for MIT Lacrosse

By Brian Loux


MIT Lacrosse fended off a late-game run by the University of Massachusetts at Dartmouth to edge the Corsairs out 7-6 last Thursday.

The Engineers’ attack relied heavily on the youth of the team to propel them to victory. Stefano Young ’06 from the acclaimed Gonzaga High School contributed three of Tech’s seven goals on the day, while teammate Isaac B. Taylor ’05 sent another three to the back of the net. Alvin “Carter” Powers ’05 attained what would be the difference-making goal and also made two assists.

As time rolled on, the Corsair attack launched a late attack in the last two quarters resulting in a 2-4 tally for the last half, including a three goal run for UMass in the fourth quarter. The Corsairs seemed to have freshman goalie Christopher Ng’s ’05 number near the end of the game, but some spectacular saves in the last minutes of play -- as well as solid second and third quarters of play from MIT’s only goalie --helped keep the lead in the hands of the home team.

Play intense and rough

The close score underlaid the intense, physical, and sometimes angry match that the competition became. From the get go, yellow flags littered the field.

A questionable hit by defender Brent M. Schreiber ’03 just before the end of the second quarter appeared to be clean but nonetheless resulted in an unnecessary roughness call. Coach Walter A. Alessi questioned whether the officials were calling MIT too strictly on contact after the early penalties in the first quarter. UMass would go on to rack up an equal number of slash and unnecessary roughness penalties later.

As penalties would go on to hinder both teams frequently as the game progressed, but neither the Engineers or the Corsairs successfully dominated play in their respective man-down situations. Most goals were scored during regular play. Strong efforts from MIT’s man-down defenders Gordon F. Fellows ’05 and Marc A. Dagenais ’03 helped keep UMass’s attack out of the crease.

MIT holds on to lead

At halftime the Engineers had a comfortable 6-2 lead with their offense dominating the game and controlling a majority of the ground ball situations. They continued the trend at the outset of the third quarter with two straight goals.

However, that command began to slip as the third quarter waned. The Corsair attack felt more comfortable face-dodging and rushing the defense and taking more shots on goal. A goal near the end left the score 6-5 MIT at the end of the third, with the momentum in the Corsairs’ favor.

MIT scored a quick goal to start off the fourth, but that did not stop the pressing attack that followed for the next 14 minutes, slowly draining away the engineer lead.

A goal within the last three minutes of the fourth quarter cut the lead to one. With less than a minute to go, quick action by Christopher K. Wilmer ’02 and the rest of the MIT defense took the ball away and into offensive territory. The clock waned down in the Corsair third of the field, making a last ditch effort to fling the ball downfield for one last UMass shot futile.

MIT went on to win its next to games against Clark and Norwich with two consecutive blowouts. The engineers defeated Clark 22-3 on Saturday and 18-9 on Tuesday. MIT’s next home game starts at 4:00 p.m. today on the omni turf field.