Weather: What’s Wrong with the Weather?By VÉronique Bugnion and Mathew Evans
10. Climate change? Thursday’s mean temperature was 13 degrees below normal and the minimum just 2 degrees shy of the record low ... maybe not.
9. The Cenozoic cooling trend, it has in fact been getting colder over the last 60 million years.
7. Sunspots? The year 2000 is expected to see a sunspot maximum. The records show that this results in slightly cooler temperatures, and about 3 inches less total rainfall for the year than in a year of sunspot minimum.
6. The Law of Averages, Phoenix experienced a record high of 104 degrees yesterday, that needs to be compensated somewhere.
5. Chuck Vest? Who wants a campus in bloom for Commencement in May.
4. La NiÑa! 2000 is a La NiÑa year and temperatures are indeed, on average, colder in Boston during La NiÑa years than during El NiÑo years, but conditions are also usually drier.
3. It’s an election year, a lot of hot air is being blown around.
2. An anomalous meteorological blocking situation leading to a quasi-stationary area of low pressure, cryptic but true.
1. It’s spring! The weather New England is most variable in the spring, so stop asking what is wrong with the weather, it will get better ... just not in the next three days.
Today: Cloudy with a chance of a shower. High of 51ºF (11ºC).
Tonight: Low in the upper 30s (3-4ºC).
Saturday: Mostly cloudy, chance of rain in the evening, high of 52ºF (11ºC).
Sunday: Cloudy, chance of a sunny break. High in the lower 50s (11-13ºC).