Marilyn Manson Cancels Tour In Wake of Colorado ShootingBy Geoff Boucher
LOS ANGELES TIMES -- Dogged by protesters, Marilyn Manson has called off the final five dates of his U.S. concert tour in the wake of the Colorado mass shooting.
The shock-rocker said Wednesday on his official Web site that the decision is both a response to the “irresponsible finger-pointing” by critics of his dark music and a nod to the needs of the grieving Littleton, Colo., community.
“People are trying to sort out what happened and to deal with their losses,” the singer said via the posting. “It’s not a great atmosphere to be out playing rock ’n’ roll shows, for us or the fans.”
Manson’s career has been fueled by controversy, but it has intensified after two youthful gunmen went on a rampage at a suburban high school in Colorado last week.
The canceled shows are in Los Angeles, Reno, Nev., Fresno, Calif., Las Vegas and Phoenix. The status of Manson’s upcoming international tour is not clear.
In his statement, Manson responded to critics who have questioned the effect of his horror-show music and imagery on young listeners.
“The media has unfairly scapegoated the music industry and so-called Goth kids and has speculated -- with no basis in truth -- that artists like myself are in some way to blame,” he stated. “This tragedy was a product of ignorance, hatred and an access to guns.
“I hope the media’s irresponsible finger-pointing doesn’t create more discrimination against kids who look different,” the statement concluded.