The Tech - Online EditionMIT's oldest and largest
newspaper & the first
newspaper published
on the web
Boston Weather: 32.0°F | Partly Cloudy

Women's Ice Hockey Team Finishes Home Season with a Tie

By Carolyn Phillips
Team Member

The women's ice hockey team's last home game of the season against Skidmore College ended in overtime with a 33 tie. "It was a rough game," said assistant captain Kalpana Mani '99. "They came out here for revenge after we destroyed them in their home rink three weeks ago."

Skidmore's passion for revenge was fueled when MIT's Tory Herman G tucked a puck into Skidmore's net in the first fifteen seconds of the first period. Despite fierce fighting from both sides, the score remained 10 for the rest of that period.

Playing a violent physical game had its cost as two Skidmore players were sent to the penalty box for checking in the first period. Checking is against the rules in women's ice hockey, which emphasizes skill over sheer physical intimidation.

Emulating the MIT team in the second period, Skidmore college broke the puck out of the face off and whipped it into the goal in the first nine seconds of play. A minute and a half later, defensewoman Carolyn Phillips '99 was sent to the penalty box for interfering with the center during a breakout of the MIT defensive zone.

Unfortunately, 10 seconds into the ensuing power play, Skidmore College scored its second goal of the game. The enraged MIT team regrouped and scored two goals recovering their lead from the first period and bringing the score to 32, MIT.

The first goal of this comeback was scored by Cynara Wu G with assistance from Herman. The second was Herman's second goal of the game with assistance from right wing Cynara Wu and Anita Wu '99 (no relation) on left defense. However, the Skidmore team responded by forcing a puck into the MIT net in the last two minutes of play.

Entering the third period tied up, the two teams fought mercilessly. Following the example of her defensive partner, left defensewoman Anne Mitzel '99 was tossed into the penalty box four and a half minutes into the period for hooking.

Three minutes after the MIT team killed Skidmore's power play, Anita Wu was also thrown in the penalty box for roughing.

MIT again killed Skidmore's power play and then watched the tables turn as another Skidmore player was dragged to the penalty box for checking. At the period's end, the game was still tied. The game entered two minutes of sudden death, in which the two teams battled tooth and nail with their best lines.

However, at the end of the two minutes the game was still tied, and the two teams skated off the ice into that ambiguous realm between victory and defeat as the Zamboni roared mournfully.

On Friday, the team will be heading out to Potsdam, New York, to compete in the Clarkson tournament. They look forward to ripping victory out of the teeth of their first opponent there, Skidmore.