The Tech - Online EditionMIT's oldest and largest
newspaper & the first
newspaper published
on the web
Boston Weather: 71.0°F | A Few Clouds

Tufts Stops Men's Soccer Win Streak

By Melissa N. Ronge
Team Statistician

The men's soccer team had an up and down past two weeks, with a three-game winning streak in the middle of some unfortunate losses.

The team's record is now 8-6.

In a Sept. 30 game against Springfield, MIT had several scoring opportunities but was unable to put any in. Springfield won the game with a goal midway through the second half. Although the Engineers fought back, they were unable to get anything, and dropped the game 1-0.

Against Brandeis on Oct. 5, MIT was without key players due to injuries. With leading scorers getting limited playing time and the starting goalkeeper out for the game, the game was going to be an uphill battle that MIT would not win. Brandeis won, 3-0, to drop MIT's record to 5-5.

After these two shut-outs, the Engineers came back with a vengeance against Trinity on Saturday, Oct. 7 at home, scoring four times in the game's first 20 minutes. Christopher J. Danielian '97 started the scoring by taking a pass from Keith D. Szolusha '97 and hitting a looping shot just over the goalkeeper's hands. A couple of minutes later Danielian hit another looper after stealing the rebound from a Trinity defender.

Szolusha camped out on the far post to put in a header from Danielian and Samuel M. Pearlman '96 for MIT's third goal. The scoring for the half ended with Szolusha putting in another header from Pearlman.

In the second half, Douglas C. MacIvor '98 took a throw in and ended up getting an assist when Jamie E. Sarabia '98 headed in the ball for the final MIT goal. Trinity added a goal late to make the final score 5-1.

Shutouts against WIT, WNEC

The team had its first weekday win against Wentworth Institute of Technology last Thursday. In the first half, Pearlman threw in the ball to Danielian, who chipped it to Andres J. Villaquiran '97, who finished it off for MIT's first score. A few minutes later, Danielian chipped in another ball which Sarabia headed to Pearlman who scored, rounding out the half.

In the second half, Villaquiran squirted free after a pass from W. Lee Murfee '99 to score his second goal of the game. Pearlman added another goal late in the game off a pass from Andre B. Brandao '97 to make the final score 4-0. Ryan J. Bryla '96 played a solid game in goal for the shutout.

In the Engineers' next game, against Western New England College, they were able to pull off another 4-0 win. Once again, Villaquiran started off the scoring, this time after receiving a pass from Sarabia. Early in the second half, Villaquiran put in an unassisted goal.

For the Engineer's third goal, Villaquiran got the assist on a pass to Sarabia who finished it off. Pearlman finished MIT's scoring on a pass from Brandao. Goalkeepers Bryla and Markus J. Hogberg '97 combined for the Engineers' second straight shutout.

MIT tried to keep its winning streak alive against Tufts at home on Tuesday, but it wasn't meant to be. Tufts came out and scored the first three goals of the game. As the second half wore on, it looked like it was hopeless for the Engineers.

However, with 16 minutes left in the game, Villaquiran stole an outlet pass from the Tuft's keeper and put a shot in the back of the net. One minute later, Ryan S. Balter '99 took a pass from MacIvor, blew by a defender, and then fired a rifle shot that beat the keeper.

It looked as if MIT could pull off a comeback, but they were unable to score before time ran out, and lost the game, 3-2.

The team next plays Sunday against Clark University. This conference game is at home and begins at 1:30 p.m.