The Tech - Online EditionMIT's oldest and largest
newspaper & the first
newspaper published
on the web

It's another hard loss for field hockey

By David Rothstein

The victories have been very few and far between for the field hockey team this year. The young Engineers, although never lacking in spirit, have often strug-

gled against quicker, more experienced teams. Sometimes they have struggled against more evenly-matched teams.

So it was yesterday on a dreary, fog-ridden afternoon, as MIT lost another match, this time to Mt. Holyoke College, 2-1. The loss leaves the Engineers' record at 2-10, 0-5 in the New England Women's Eight Conference.

Yesterday's game did not belong to Mt. Holyoke. But for a fluke goal -- which may have been illegal, depending on whom you asked -- by the visitors early in the first period, the game was an even match. In fact, MIT kept the ball in the Lyons' half for most of the first period, but simply could not score.

MIT found the net early in the second period, after the teams and switched sides and the Jack Barry Field lights had come on, as Wendy Russell '94 deflected a Susie Ward '92 shot into the back left corner of the Mt. Holyoke goal at 31:09.

The 1-1 tie held for a while. MIT got good defensive work from team captain Karlin Anderson '91, Kimberly Williams '92 and Ward, but could mount only few serious offensive threats.

Then, with 17:53 to go in the game, Mt. Holyoke's Joanna Weldon scored to put the Lyons up for good. The score came after MIT goalkeeper Helen Shaughnessy '91 kicked a Mt. Holyoke shot out in front of the goal. A prolonged scramble ensued, at the end of which Weldon's shot slipped by four MIT defenders and past Shaughnessy.

The Engineers made several full-field runs in the closing minutes of the game, only to be stopped by a Lyons defender, or an errant pass.

"Our biggest weakness is scoring," conceded a frustrated head coach, Sue Landau, after the game. But: "We're playing very much better than we were [at the beginning of the season]," she added.

Mt. Holyoke's first goal came at 33:41 of the opening period, as Heather Seabury's shot from outside the circle drifted past everybody and snuck into the MIT goal. There was some question as to whether the shot had been taken from more than 25 yards out, which is prohibited by a new rule.

MIT had a 10-3 advantage in penalty corners, and Shaughnessy recorded 11 saves to Lyons' keeper Kirsten Kelso's eight.

The Engineers travel to Worcester tomorrow morning to take on a tough Worcester Polytechnic Institute squad, ranked first in New England and eighth in the nation among Division III field hockey teams.