The Tech - Online EditionMIT's oldest and largest
newspaper & the first
newspaper published
on the web
Boston Weather: 35.0°F | A Few Clouds

Hockey trounces Sprinfield

By Adam Braff

and Emil Dabora

What's burgundy and white and skated all over? The answer, as revealed in MIT's 8-2 Saturday night triumph over Springfield, was visiting goalie John Paerels. Paerels took quite a beating from his own defensemen, both because they failed to play solidly and because, when they did manage to get back in time to stop the MIT attack, they usually fell on top of the hapless goalie.

MIT 8, Springfield 2



MIT (5-9)[ln]1^3^4 -- 8->

Springfield[ln]1^0^1 -- 2->



First period: MIT, Santoro (Ostby, McKenna) 4:13; Spr, Capone (Cowee) 18:36.

Second period: MIT, Westphall (Buschman, Bates) 5:41; MIT, Westphall (Kimmell) 11:45; MIT, Ostby (unassisted) 16:42.

Third period: MIT, Santoro (Bates) 7:06; Spr, Fleming (Capone) 7:35; MIT, Bates (Westphall) 12:38; MIT, Tiao (Schars) 15:27; MIT, Tiao (Buschman, Bates) 17:24.



To his credit, Paerels did an outstanding job in goal, turning away 37 of the 45 Beaver shots, stopping many seemingly certain goals with an agile glove hand. The MIT goalie, Dave Shea G, performed similarly well, if not under such pressing conditions -- Springfield squeezed off just 25 shots in the contest.

MIT took control early, winning the faceoff and getting off a shot less than 30 seconds into the first period. The home team drew first blood when John Santoro '89 lifted in a rebound for the first of his two goals. MIT's offense was promptly shut down for the remainder of the period by Springfield's tactic of icing the puck whenever the Beavers threatened to score.

MIT's first power play, initiated by an elbowing call on the Springfield team's captain, was neutralized handily by Paerels. With 14 seconds left in the MIT power play another Springfield player was called for holding, but the visiting penalty-killing unit cleared the puck to negate the brief two-man advantage.

Seconds later, the Beaver power play was ended with a interference call on forward Michael Quinlan '92 at the Springfield blue line. The two remaining penalties passed without incident as both goalies made quick saves from long slapshots. Play was stopped briefly with 7:34 to go in the first period when Eugene McKenna '92 went down hard near his own goal, but he was able to return to the game.

The pace quickened in the final five minutes of the period. Springfield capitalized on a loose puck in front of the MIT net when Edward Capone stabbed in the first goal for his team. Although the first period ended with a tie, MIT left the impression of having played a much stronger passing game, keeping the puck in the visitors' zone well more than half the time.

MIT took control again early in the second period, as Jeff Bates '91 almost immediately broke down center ice to put a hard wrist shot on Paerels. Paerels responded with a stunning chest save and rebound-covering dive before his defensemen deftly fell on top of him. This was soon followed by a Springfield penalty for delay of game which led to a goal by Mike Westphal '90, 57 seco into the power play. Westphal scored again only six minutes later on a rebound from a blue-line shot by Brian Kimmel G.

Just after the halfway mark in the game, Paerels hit the ice while stopping a shot from the left side and stayed down for ten minutes while the team doctor bandaged the chin of the goalie. Obviously weakened by the blow, he let in a perfect wraparound shot by Jeff Scharf '92 to end the scoring for the period.

In the final period, the physical game continued to take its toll in Springfield when, just two minutes after the faceoff, visiting forward Sean Fleming collapsed onto the ice but was able to return to the bench under his own power. A flurry of scoring began with a 2-on-1 breakaway, Bates dishing off to Santoro for his second goal. Less than twenty seconds later, Springfield returned the favor when Fleming, obviously not shaken by his encounter with the Athletic Center's ice, poked a loose puck between Shea's legs for his team's final goal.

Halfway through the third, a scuffle in the visitors' zone sent two players from Springfield and one from MIT to the penalty box. This clearly angered the home team, who ran up the score on Springfield, with Bates scoring once and senior Paul Tiao getting the final two goals for the Engineers.

After the game, MIT coach Joe Quinn said the Beavers "played well, passed well, and moved the puck well." The key to their success was their teamwork, he said, emphasizing that unselfish passing had created scoring opportunities for MIT. "This game helped keep us at .500 . Springfield is a new team and made us work hard for our goals," Quinn said.