The Tech - Online EditionMIT's oldest and largest
newspaper & the first
newspaper published
on the web
Boston Weather: 75.0°F | Overcast

Coast Guard boxed out

By Alison C. Morgan

In a come-from-behind victory, the women's basketball team sunk visiting Coast Guard, 55-51,Monday night at Rockwell Cage. The Engineers erased a 14-point Coast Guard lead to win the game in the final minute.

After scoring only six points in the first nine minutes of the game, the Engineers continued to sleepwalk through the rest of the half, and Coast Guard led 32-18 at halftie.

An MIT steal coming off the opening tap of the second half was a prelude of things to come. In the following three minutes, MIT pulled to within nine at 35-24. Coast Guard then scored and converted a foul shot to open their lead to 14.

Undeterred by the scoreboard, Martha Beverage '87 swished a jumpshot. A Darlene Dewilde '88 steal, followed by consecutive rebounds by Biz Williamson '86, resulted in eight straight points for the Engineers. Williamson led MIT in rebounds with 12 on the night.

After four minutes of silence, the Coast Guard offense spoke up and scored two points. Grace Saccardo '86 answered quickly with a turn-around jumpshot from the side, followed by a three-point play by Beverage, slicing Coast Guard's lead to two points, 40-38.

Coast Guard's scoring threat, Phyllis Blantley, momentarily broke free of suffocating defense by Irene Gregory '88 with two points, but turned the ball over on the next play. MIT converted the turnover and the score was 42-40, Coast Guard. Stacey Thompson '86 then scored two for Tech, tying the game at 42-42. Beverage gave the Engineers the lead for the first tim in the game when she scored and drew a foul for a three-point play.

With 1:32 left in the game, MIT led 51-46. Coast Guard made a last-minute run, narrowing MIT's lead to just two with less than a minute left in the game. At the 39 second mark, Beverage converted on a two-shot foul, extending MIT's lead to four. Coast Guard's Chris MacMillian drove the length of the court for a layup, cutting MIT's lead to two. With twelve seconds remaining, Saccardo made the final points of the game on the foul line, and MIT won 55-51.

Beverage finished with a game-high seventeen points; she and Dewilde had seven rebounds apiece. MIT's height advantage wasn't evident until 5'11" Dewilde came off the bench to tower over Coast Guard for ten inside "points in the paint."

An elated Coach Jean Heiney said afterwards that she was proud of the team for coming back after such a "demoralizing start" and that the game was "a good team win."