The Tech - Online EditionMIT's oldest and largest
newspaper & the first
newspaper published
on the web
Boston Weather: 36.0°F | Mostly Cloudy
Men's Water Polo Beats Brown

Men's Water Polo Beats Brown

By Caitlin Murray


The MIT men’s water polo team gave the animated crowd on the sidelines (complete with a snare drum) something to cheer about as they improved their record to 10-7 overall on Saturday with a 5-4 win over Brown University.

The game started off slowly, with neither team clearly on top. Both goalkeepers, Daniel R. Malconian ’07 of MIT and Jay Fantone of Brown made key saves during the first period.

The first goal was scored by MIT two minutes before the end of the first period. Fantone blocked an attack by Dan R. Jacobs ’05, got control of the ball, and passed it up to his teammate, only to have John H. Rogers ’06 lunge in for a beautiful steal, pass it up the pool to Kevin C. Amendt ’07 and from there back to Jacobs, who threw a goal into the corner of the net.

In the first minute of the second period, MIT got possession on a penalty on Brown, only to have the ball stolen within seconds. Brown’s Thomas Payton broke away from the pack and beat the rest of the players to Engineer territory. After a face off with Malconian, Payton launched a powerful shot into the net, scoring Brown’s first point of the game.

Each team scored twice more in the remainder of the second period, the first a light lob over the goalie’s head into the net by MIT’s Bruce J. DiBello ’05, and the second on another breakaway by Brown, to tie it up 2-2 by the end of the first half. Brown had the chance to take the lead early in the second half, when MIT was given a yellow card and Brown’s Andy Wiener took a penalty shot, but the ball ricocheted harmlessly off the crossbar, leaving the game still tied.

MIT capitalized on Brown’s mistake quickly, taking the lead on what turned into the most impressive play of the game. David D. Lohrey ’05 passed the ball to Rogers, and Rogers, covered tightly by a Brown defender and facing away from the Brown net, whipped the ball around his back, scored in the opposite side of the goal, and gave the Engineers a 3-2 lead.

Jacobs scored two more goals in the third period, one on a quick assist by Lohrey and one on a powerful attack by MIT that ultimately resulted in a goal, leaving the Engineers up by three. The Bears attempted to rally in the last period with a goal by Brown’s Paul D’Avino, a sustained attack on goal, and a breakaway by Brown’s Luke Samson, but it all came to nothing; Malconian was effective in goal and stopped the Bears from taking the lead.

This win brings MIT’s Collegiate Water Polo Association record up to 2-1, tying Brown for second in the Northern Division, with St. Francis leading, 5-0.