Acid Releases Dangerous Gas At 300 Tech SquareThe Cambridge Fire Department and its hazardous materials team responded to a call on Wednesday, outside 300 Technology Square.
“There was an acid that was dumped into one of the dumpsters on the side of the building,” said Fire Department Deputy Chief James Burns.
“The bottle broke and some gas was released,” Burns said. The person who threw the bottle into the dumpster called the fire department, he said.
Burns said they responded with level A hazard suits and applied “soda ash” to neutralize the ashes, and that no one was harmed in the incident.
Improper disposal of chemicals does not occur too often, but it is also not uncommon, he said.
--Beckett W. Sterner