The Tech - Online EditionMIT's oldest and largest
newspaper & the first
newspaper published
on the web
Boston Weather: 22.0°F | Overcast

Heater Causes Frat Fire

By Ray C. He

STAFF REPORTER

A fire broke out at Theta Xi fraternity at 64 Bay State Road, last Wednesday, according to the MIT Police incident log.

David N. Rogers, associate dean of fraternities, sororities, and independent living groups, was notified of the fire and went to the scene to assess the situation. The fire “was caused by a space heater,” Rogers said.

“As soon as the fire caught, people ran in with fire extinguishers. There was still a lot of smoke afterwards,” said Aaron H. Bell ’06, a member of Theta Xi.

The fire itself causes little damage. “The majority of the damage was water damage from the sprinklers after the fire was put out,” Bell said.

“There was no fire damage and little water damage,” said Hua-Yu S. Cherng ’05, president of Theta Xi.

“The sprinklers are fixed and refilled; the electrical work was rechecked and they were all fine to move back into the house,” Rogers said.

Fires in FSILGs are not a common occurance. “This is the first one I’ve been to,” said Rogers. “I’ve been here three years and this is the first time I’ve dealt with one.”