MIT Ballroom Dance Shines in Competition
Over the weekend of October 4th, members of the MIT Ballroom Dance Team went to the Ferncroft Country Club in Danvers, MA to compete in the annual Yankee Classic Dancesport Championships.
As a National Dance Council of America (NDCA) recognized competition, this event drew more non-collegiate competitors than most competitions in the area. This is especially true of the highest competition level in each style.
Members of the MIT team won many awards. Here are some of the highlights in Standard:
* Boris Berdnikov ’98 and Sofya Raskhodnikova G won both Gold and Novice, placing third in Pre-champ.
* Dejan Mirchevski and Maria Minkoff G took second in Novice and fifth in Pre-champ.
* Jatin Misra G and Wendy Luo ’01 placed third in Novice and second in Gold.
* William Liteplo ’00 and Adora A. Lin ’02 came in third in Master of Syllabus.
* Filip Ilievski ’03 and Elizabeth Dew ’92, Tuan Q. Phan ’02 and Ika Setyanati took fourth and sixth in Novice respectively.
* In silver smooth, Eric Nielson ’00 and Michelle Goldhaber placed second in Silver and sixth in Open. Liteplo and Lin placed fifth in Open.
* In Rhythm, Nielson and Lin placed fifth in Silver. Liteplo and Michelle Goldhaber placed third in Open.
* Liteplo and Goldhaber also placed second in Masters of Syllabus Latin. Roman Portnoy and Miriam L. Boon ’02 came in third and Angelo A. Mondragon ’01 and Samantha Hernandez seventh in Gold Latin.
* Ilievski and Rita Kraner, dancing Pre-champ Latin, placed second.
All in all, it was a splendid showing for MIT. In some events MIT dancers made up five of the six finalist couples. It was particularly gratifying that several new partnerships did well. It bodes well for the new season kicked off by The Yankee Classic.
More detailed information and results are available at