The Tech - Online EditionMIT's oldest and largest
newspaper & the first
newspaper published
on the web
Boston Weather: 74.0°F | Partly Cloudy

Curry College Tramples Fatigued Beavers, 27-14

By Spencer Cross and Tom Kilpatrick


Maybe it was the hot, humid air, or maybe it was fatigue. But whatever it was, the Beaver football team did not come to play in the first half on Saturday, and eventually fell to Curry College, 27-14.

“That was the worst half of football I have ever seen,” said captain Robert R. Owsley ’02. Several players mentioned that the team had no life in them, and that the atmosphere on the sideline was almost drowsy.

The first two Beaver drives, which began deep in MIT territory, ended in an interception and a fumble. And just like that, the Beavers were down 14-0. Curry scored once more before the half ended, and then on their first possession after halftime, making the score 27-0.

Rather than giving up at this point, the Beavers mounted a surge, putting together its first drive of the day. With the help of some good runs by tailback Temitope O. Sonuyi ’05 and a long pass to wide receiver Gregory N. Nelson ’02, Kip M. Johann-Berkel ’02 stuffed it in to make it 27-7.

On the Beavers next possession, Owsley burnt his defender on a post-corner route and ran 74 yards for the score, making the score 27-14. Owsley had 114 receiving yards on the day, accounting for 53% of MIT’s total offense.

Unfortunately, that was as far as the comeback attempt ever got, because Curry’s offense ran down the clock. The Beavers were allowed only one more possession.

Curry dominated time of possession (40:02 compared to the Beavers’ 19:58), rushing for 313 yards and converting many long 3rd down opportunities. MIT only had 3 possessions in the second half.

MIT’s hopes did not die without some controversy, however, as Curry took a delay of game penalty when they had possession with about 3 and a half minutes left. The game’s officials allowed the clock to run even after the penalty had been called. Assistant coach Chris House ran on the field, and grabbed the linesman to alert him. Startled, he assessed a 15-yard penalty against MIT (thereby granting Curry a first down). As the linesman walked away, House called him a “fat boy” and another 15-yard penalty was assessed.

The Beavers, falling to 1-3, take to the road next week to play UMass Dartmouth at 1:30 p.m.