The Tech - Online EditionMIT's oldest and largest
newspaper & the first
newspaper published
on the web
Boston Weather: 37.0°F | A Few Clouds

Lacrosse Takes Early Lead, Never Looks Back Against Power Gulls

By Robert Aronstam


Women’s lacrosse easily defeated Endicott College on Tuesday by a score of 14-8.

MIT dominated the match early on, ending the first half leading by a score of 9-1. The Engineers then turned to several of their reserve players in the second half, who held off the Endicott comeback attempt.

Two of MIT’s freshmen set the tone of the first half. Debbie Cheng ’04 and Stephanie I. Hsu ’04 combined for six of MIT’s first seven goals. Also scoring in the first half were Lorien M. Paulson ’02, Lani N. Rapp ’01, and Jennifer M. Fiumara ’02.

The Endicott Power Gulls struck first, scoring a goal in the opening minutes. Then MIT slammed the door. Their 9-0 first-half run was made possible by efficient passing and a well orchestrated offense. The Engineers dominated the shots-on-goal department. The ball was almost exclusively kept in MIT’s offensive side of the field.

Although the Endicott goalkeeper made a few saves, she was overcome by the barrage of MIT shots. MIT continuously drove deep into the Endicott defense, drawing fouls. The Engineers were awarded seven eight-meter shots in the first half alone, converting three into goals.

In addition to eight-meter shots, MIT looked to Cheng for scoring. Cheng, NEWMAC’s leading scorer, had more moves than the Endicott defenders could deal with. Cheng was able to create her own shots with her lightning-quick first step. She slipped past the defenders at will and netted five goals in total.

As Cheng had her way on the offensive end of the field, the Engineer defense shut down the Gulls. Endicott never had a chance to get into an offensive rhythm. MIT quickly forced ground balls whenever the Gulls managed to mount an attack. MIT’s crisp passing allowed them to dominate the total time of possession.

In the second half, Endicott and MIT traded the first four goals back and forth. With MIT leading 11-3, Endicott scored four unanswered goals. Christine Lin ’04 ended the streak with her first of two second-half goals. Theresa Cheng ’02 scored MIT’s final goal after she was left wide open in the crease.

The women return to action on Saturday at Mount Holyoke College.