U.S. Sets Reward for Bombing Suspect; Accomplice ArrestedBy Patricia Hurtado
Federal authorities announced a $2 million reward Thursday for a fugitive charged with murdering 12 Americans in last month's bombing at the U.S. Embassy in Nairobi, Kenya.
In a news conference at the FBI's New York City headquarters, federal authorities identified the suspect as Haroun Fazil, a native of the Comoros Islands off the southeast African coast.
The Aug. 7 Kenyan bombing resulted in the deaths of 247 people, including the 12 Americans. The American Embassy in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, was bombed almost simultaneously.
U.S. Attorney Mary Jo White said Fazil was charged with 12 counts of murder in the deaths of the Americans, one count of murder conspiracy and conspiring to use a weapon of mass destruction.
She said Fazil, who has given his age as both 24 and 27 and has used a series of aliases, could face the death penalty if convicted in the United States of the bombing.
At the same news conference, White announced that her office had charged another man, Wadih el Hage. Investigators believed he served as the personal secretary to Osama bin Laden, the Saudi Arabian multimillionaire who is suspected of funding the blasts.
El Hage, who holds U.S. citizenship and lives in Dallas, was charged with three counts of lying to federal agents about his knowledge of the military leadership of bin Laden's organization.
El Hage was arrested Wednesday night at FBI headquarters in New York, said Lewis Schiliro, head of the FBI's New York office. El Hage, who is the father of seven children and works at a Fort Worth, Texas, tire store, was ordered held without bail at his arraignment Thursday afternoon before a federal magistrate. Prosecutor Patrick Kelly told the judge that he expects el Hage will be indicted on additional charges next week.
El Hage could face up to five years in prison on each perjury charge.