The Tech - Online EditionMIT's oldest and largest
newspaper & the first
newspaper published
on the web
Boston Weather: 46.0°F | Overcast

Clinton's Testimony Confirmed and Attacked by New Evidence

By David Willman and
Alan C. Miller
Los Angeles Times
WASHINGTON

Evidence challenging the truthfulness of President Clinton's testimony about his personal dealings with two former White House aides appeared Thursday to become stronger in one instance and more muddled in the other.

A Beverly Hills, Calif., friend of former intern Monica S. Lewinsky testified before a federal grand jury after telling investigators that she was among those Lewinsky told of having a sexual relationship with Clinton. Both Lewinsky and the friend, 24-year-old Natalie R. Ungvari, attended Beverly Hills High School. Ungvari declined to comment after she testified. The president has denied under oath having sexual contact with Lewinsky.

In a related development, House Speaker Newt Gingrich (R-Ga.) said Thursday that, when Independent Counsel Kenneth W. Starr's investigation is complete, he wants a bipartisan panel of lawmakers to evaluate whether impeachment proceedings are warranted.

Meanwhile, new questions were raised about Kathleen E. Willey, the former White House aide who has told the grand jury and a national television audience that on Nov. 29, 1993, Clinton groped her near the Oval Office.

The editor of the supermarket tabloid Star said that his publication had tried without success to buy Willey's account since last July, when her encounter with Clinton was first reported by CBS News.

Phil Bunton, the tabloid editor, said it was not until early last month that a lawyer representing Willey "suddenly seemed to bite."

Bunton said that the lawyer, Daniel J. Gecker, told a reporter for the tabloid Feb. 6 that his client "might be prepared to talk for at least $300,000." "He [Gecker] told us that she had heavy debts and she needed to clear them and she needed at least $300,000 to set herself straight," Bunton said.

Willey, 51, was paid no money for granting the prime-time interview that was broadcast Sunday night on CBS's "60 Minutes," according to a network spokesman.