The Tech - Online EditionMIT's oldest and largest
newspaper & the first
newspaper published
on the web
Boston Weather: 20.0°F | Mostly Cloudy

Short Takes: Missing Syracuse University Student Found Dead

From University Wire

Dismembered body parts, believed to belong to missing Syracuse University sophomore April Gregory, were discovered by police Tuesday night and Wednesday.

Gregory, a Syracuse native, has been missing since May 24, 1996. Thirty-one-year-old Terrance Evans was charged Tuesday with second-degree murder after confessing to the crime, according to the Syracuse Police Department. Evans, April's former boyfriend, lives next door to the Gregory family on the city's South Side.

Police said Evans had been a suspect from the beginning. He was questioned by police at least three times, but a lack of evidence stopped police from obtaining a search warrant. In his confession, Evans told police that Gregory came to his house at 227 McKinley Ave., the night she disappeared because his parents were not home.

After the two argued, he told police he struck her and she hit her head on a stereo. Although Gregory was bleeding profusely, Evans told police he did not seek help and discovered the next morning that she was dead.

After Evans confessed, police searched his house and found decomposed body parts in the basement, behind walls, in closets and in the attic. Onondaga County District Attorney William Fitzpatrick said a pair of legs that were found in the attic had been burned. Evans attempted to destroy the limbs by setting them on fire in his garage. He put the fire out because of the smoke and stench it created and tried to cover up the odor with perfume.

SPD Crime Lab investigators were still searching Evans' house for evidence late Wednesday night. The county Medical Examiner's Office is using dental records to positively identify the body parts. Although a positive identification should be available soon, the cause of death will not be known for weeks because of the severe decomposition of the body parts.

[Daily Orange, 11/20/97]

Students sleep out for fundraiser

Sixty University of Connecticut students and one faculty member braved the 20 degree weather Wednesday night for "Love Shack" - a sleep-out fund-raising event, as a part of Hunger and Homelessness week.

The event, held to raise consciousness about homelessness, included an overnight sleep-out in cardboard boxes, guest speakers, and a candlelight vigil.

The sleep-out, including the "Love Shack" and cardboard city, were constructed by Habitat for Humanity, according to Carlye Thomson, a 7th-semester psychology major, and Habitat for Humanity volunteer.

The speakers and events were sponsored by UConn PIRG beginning with a speech by local State Rep. Denise Merrill. "It's really hard to believe the state would spend $107 million on a football stadium when there are so many other needs," Merrill said, who had just returned from the legislative hearings for UConn football in Hartford.

Merrill said the government must take more responsibility to the homeless, blaming government cutbacks. "Poor people don't occur, we create them. Many people live in the suburbs (away from the problem). We don't see it, touch it, feel it, (to many) it doesn't matter any more," Merrill said.

"I appreciate what I have now because I know a lot of people who don't have anything," said Juan Soto, a 1st-semester Latin American studies major. "I just want to go home and thank my parents for what they have given me."

[The Daily Campus, 11/20/97]

Princeton donor suffers in crash

Princeton University's "mother lode" may be facing financial difficulties. Hopewell Holdings, the company owned by Gordon Wu, who donated $100 million to the engineering school in October 1995, has lost money in the recent global stock-market drops.

Though the company has suffered from the crash, Assistant Dean for Development in the engineering school Matthew Cottle said he is certain that the University will continue to receive its payments.

"Up to this point all of Gordon's pledge payments have been early," Cottle said. "There seems to be no doubt that they will continue on schedule." In addition, Cottle said he believes any public perception that Hopewell Holdings is suffering financially will only further encourage Wu to continue his contributions.

The crash of the Hong Kong stock market and the collapse of a $3.2 billion mass-transit project in Thailand forced Hopewell Holdings to declare a $2.2 billion loss. According to the South China Morning Post, this deficit marks a great change from the $769 million profit posted by the company during the last fiscal year.

The decline in Hopewell's stock followed the trend of the fall in the Asian markets, and does not necessarily indicate dire financial problems for the company, Director of Principal Gifts Dan Jamieson, Jr. explained.

Wu contributes $5 million every six months to the engineering school. The money is placed in the endowment fund and supports graduate fellows, new professorships, and a dean's fund for teaching. "Most of the contribution goes into the bank with the rest of the University's endowment," Jamieson said. "We only use a small portion of it at a time."

[The Daily Princetonian 11/20/97]

Methamphetamine use rising

Most people wouldn't think of gulping down a tall cool glass of antifreeze. But mix it with lantern fuel, drain cleaner and Sudafed and people might inject the concoction directly into their bloodstream. This blend of chemicals is the recipe for one of Colorado's newest drug trends - methamphetamine.

With varieties such as crank, crystal meth and ice, methamphetamine use is on the rise in the Centennial State and the problem appears to be spreading. While meth use is highest in Denver, the stimulant is quickly gaining popularity across the state.

There certainly has been an incline here in Boulder County," said Boulder police Sergeant Pat Haugse. In 1996 alone, police busted 28 clandestine meth labs in Colorado, more than double the number of the previous year.

The drug can be smoked, inhaled, injected or mixed into coffee, and its low street price and exhilarating high have earned meth a reputation as the "poor man's cocaine." One gram sells on the street for about $125 and can provide a high that lasts up to 10 hours, nearly 20 times longer than a comparable hit of cocaine.

"When I tried it, it didn't seem like we smoked that much," said the CU junior. "But it lasted a really long time. It was fun."

"I remember being happy, excited. Really happy. We spent about seven or eight hours partying and getting totally wasted. It was like a euphoria. I remember sitting on the couch thinking this is not normal.' And we crashed at, oh, probably five in the morning."

[Campus Press, 11/20/97 ]