The Tech - Online EditionMIT's oldest and largest
newspaper & the first
newspaper published
on the web
Boston Weather: 19.0°F | Mostly Cloudy

World Briefs II

Three Jewish Families Settle In Arab Neighborhood

The Washington Post
JERUSALEM

Protected by scores of heavily armed police, three Jewish families settled into an Arab neighborhood of East Jerusalem Monday, stirring outrage among Palestinians who see their presence as a betrayal of the Oslo peace accords. The move sparked fears of a new crisis in Palestinian-Israeli relations just days after the departure of Secretary of State Madeleine K. Albright. The Israeli Jews moved into homes purchased from Arabs by Irving Moskowitz, a wealthy Miami developer who plans to build a Jewish housing complex on the hilltop known as Ras Amoud, which is situated between Jerusalem's Old City and the massive Jewish burial site on the Mount of Olives.

The controversy over the new arrivals, whose neighbors greeted them late Sunday night with curses and showers of stones, erupted just as some had dared hope that relations between Israel and the Palestinians might finally be on the mend. Amid signs that the Palestinian Authority, with Albright's prodding, has begun to cooperate with Israel on security matters, the Jewish state Monday eased travel restrictions on Palestinians stemming from suicide bombings in Jerusalem in July and earlier this month that killed 20 victims.

Citing national security, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu '75 has said publicly that he will not allow Moskowitz to proceed with the new development, a pledge he reiterated Monday. But Israeli officials said Netanyahu has no legal authority to evict the new tenants from homes purchased legally by Moskowitz from willing Arab sellers.

Call for Review of Tianamen Crackdown Stirs Up China

Los Angeles Times
BEIJING

The political ghost who surfaced to haunt the key national Communist Party congress here Monday reminded everyone that the memory of the army's brutal crackdown in Tiananmen Square eight years ago has not been erased.

At the center of the controversy - just as he was in 1989 - is former Communist Party secretary general Zhao Ziyang. A letter purportedly written by Zhao, an avid reformer who was removed from the party's top position after he opposed using the army to crush the Tiananmen student demonstrations, appeared in Hong Kong newspapers Monday and quickly made the rounds of the capital, stirring up the tightly controlled 15th party congress.

The typed three-page letter called for a "reassessment" of the June 4, 1989, incident in which army tanks and soldiers killed hundreds civilians. "While the military suppression calmed the situation down," the letter stated, "we cannot but say that the people, the army, the party and government and our country all paid a great price."