The Tech - Online EditionMIT's oldest and largest
newspaper & the first
newspaper published
on the web
Boston Weather: 55.0°F | Overcast

Field Hockey Whips Clark to Enter NEW8 Tourney

Jiri Schindler--The Tech
Katherine Merrilees '97 scored the last goal for MIT to clinch the win over Clark University to 4-1 in Saturday's game at Barry Field

By Erik S. Balsley
associate sports editor

On an unseasonably warm and beautiful Saturday, the field hockey team defeated Clark University 41 in their last regularly scheduled game of the season.

The win brings the team's season record to 94 and their New England Women's Eight conference record to 61.

The Engineers dominated most of the game and got off to an early lead. About only one minute into the game, Anshu Sinha '98 scored MIT's first goal.

With MIT up by one so early, Clark tightened up their defense and began to cluster very closely together near the net, making it difficult for MIT to take clear shots on goal.

Despite playing into the sun, MIT had the ball on Clark's side of the field most of the time and continued to take shots at goal, gradually wearing down the Clark defense. Finally, with 7:44 left in the first half, Tracy Sadowski '99 broke through Clark to score an unassisted goal to bring the score to 20.

The Engineers continued their aggressive playing to keep the pressure on Clark. About four minutes after the last goal, with 3:27 left in the half, Stephanie Maifert '98 drove the ball past the Clark goalkeeper off a pass from Teresa Power '00 to bring the score to 30.

However, shortly after this goal Clark pulled together and took advantage of a temporary lapse in intensity for the Engineers to score their first and only goal of the day, to bring the score to 31.

Entering the second half, MIT was up by two and was determined to widen that margin. Much as they had in the first half, the Engineers continued to play with intensity to overpower Clark throughout the second half.

With 26:40 left in the half, MIT had Clark's goal completely covered when Connie Sadowski '99 passed the ball back to Katherine Merrilees '97, who shot the ball into the net to bring the score to 41.

Up by three points, the Engineers continued their offensive drive against Clark to secure their win and attempt to widen the margin of victory. Excellent defensive playing for the Engineers kept Clark from taking any clear shots on goal and kept the ball on MIT's side of the field for only a brief time.

There were several good plays for MIT in the remaining minutes of the half. These resulted in several more shots on goal - which went wide of the net or were blocked by the Clark goalkeeper - to keep the score unchanged.

In the end, MIT won the game 41. The game was also senior day, when the team honors the seniors on the team, on their last regularly scheduled home game of the season.

After the game ended, the team got to together as a group, and the seniors on the team - Merrilees, Ellen Hwang '97, and Laura Walker '97 - got together to have their picture taken. After pictures were taken, the team's underclassmen dumped the remaining contents of the water cooler on top of them. Fortunately for the seniors it was a warm day.

The team will be facing either Mount Holyoke College or Worcester Polytechnic Institute on Thursday on the turf at 3 p.m. in round one of the NEW8 Conference Tournament at 7 p.m. If they win they will move on to the semifinals at WPIon Saturday and then to the championship game on Sunday if they win in the semifinals.

Copyright 19,95, The Tech. All rights reserved.
This story was published on Tuesday.
Volume 116, Number 54.
This story appeared on page 20.

This article may be freely distributed electronically, provided it is distributed in its entirety and includes this notice, but may not be reprinted without the express written permission of The Tech. Write to for additional details.