The Tech - Online EditionMIT's oldest and largest
newspaper & the first
newspaper published
on the web
Boston Weather: 41.0°F | A Few Clouds

Women's Soccer Vanquishes Mount Holyoke College 3-2

Jiri Schindler -- The Tech
Rigel D. Stuhmiller '99 attempts to clear the ball while tackled by Mt. Holyoke player in last Saturday's game at the Steinbrenner stadium. Mit won 3-2.

By Olivia Cheo and Thuy Le
team members

Amid the gusty winds of the weekend, the women's soccer team beat Mount Holyoke College 32 at Steinbrenner Stadium on Saturday.

Following the football team's homecoming victory over Curry College, the women entered the game with an optimistic and enthusiastic outlook. Despite losing the coin toss, the Engineers had the wind in their favor for the first half of the game and capitalized on the opportunities it provided.

Just eight minutes into the game, Thuy Le '97, scored the first goal for MIT from just outside the 18-yard line. MIT continued to dominate the game and kept the ball on Holyoke's half for the majority of the half.

After numerous shots on goal, Tera Hoefle '98, took a long throw-in to place the ball in the box where Dawn Butler '99 controlled it and put it beyond the goalie's reach to score MIT's second goal of the game.

Time was running out in the half but the Engineers were still going full force. The efforts of the first half culminated in a breakaway goal by Marilyn Vogel '98, which was lofted over the goalie's head.

Unfortunately, the second half was not nearly as fruitful for the Engineers' offense, partly because the wind was now working to their disadvantage.

For most of the second half, MIT and Holyoke kept each other at bay. "There was a dramatic change in style from the offensive to the defensive because of the strong wind," said Larry Hamilton, father of stopper Mary Hamilton '97. "Both aspects of the team were challenged," he said.

Holyoke's persistence was rewarded with two back-to-back goals with only minutes remaining in the game. MIT's tough defense secured the team's victory in the last seconds of play with a save by goalkeeper Laura Yamaguchi '97. As Holyoke began to set up for their corner kick, the referee blew the whistle ending the match.

Overall MIT showed a strong team effort, with participation from every team member. By spreading the field and communicating, the Engineers increased their record to 742.

The women's soccer team's last home game of the regular season is against Wellesley College today at 4 p.m. in Steinbrenner Stadium.