The Tech - Online EditionMIT's oldest and largest
newspaper & the first
newspaper published
on the web
Boston Weather: 41.0°F | A Few Clouds

Football Beats Curry to Win Homecoming

Jiri Schindler -- The Tech
Maik C. Flanagin '99 rushed 239 yards and scored two touchdowns in the football team's homecoming game against Curry College on Saturday. MIT won the game 21-14.

By Erik Balsley
associate sports editor

The football team won an exciting homecoming game to Curry College 217 for its first home victory this season.

The game began early for MIT as Maik Flanagin '99 rushed four yards to score the first of his two touchdowns in the game with 8:58 remaining in the first quarter. Ahren Lembke-Windler '00 kicked the ball through the posts for a successful extra point attempt to bring the score to 70.

However, the Engineers' lead proved short-lived when Curry scored its first touchdown off the kick-off return. The 90-yard return, brought the score to within one, and Curry's successful extra point attempt tied the score at 77 with 8:44 left in the quarter.

The two teams played well throughout the rest of the quarter and into the second. There were some strong plays during this time, but at halftime the score was still 77.

As the wind began to pick up, the two teams returned to the field determined to break the tie. With 10:15 left in the third quarter, Curry was on the MIT 6-yard line. A completed pass that would have resulted in a Curry touchdown was not allowed because it was received by ineligible receiver, and Curry received a five-yard penalty as well.

After this close call, excellent playing by the MIT defensive line and another penalty called against Curry prevented Curry from scoring.

The score was still tied entering the fourth quarter, though with 13:49 left in the quarter MIT was finally able to break the tie. On an 8-yard pass play from Scott Blackburn '99, Troy Gayeski '98 brought the ball into the Curry endzone to bring the score to 136.

MIT was playing into the wind, and the extra point attempt was unsuccessful. The Engineers continued to play well and more cohesively than they have at other times this season. As a result, they were able to take advantage of a hole that opened up in the Curry defensive line, and Flanagin ran 72 yards down the field to score his second touchdown of the game with 5:59 left.

Instead of kicking for the extra point attempt, the Engineers went for the two-point conversion. They were successful and increased their lead to 14 points to move the score to 217.

But Curry was prepared to fight to the end and was able to score a final touchdown with 3:43 left in the game. Curry's extra point attempt was successful, narrowing MIT's lead and leaving the score at 2114.

MIT staged a successful drive again in the remaining minutes and soon found itself on Curry's side of the field. However, the Engineers were not able to score again. The final whistle blew to secure MIT's first home victory this season.

The next home football game is on Saturday, Nov. 2 against the University of Massachusetts at Boston inSteinbrenner Stadium at 1 p.m.