The Tech - Online EditionMIT's oldest and largest
newspaper & the first
newspaper published
on the web
Boston Weather: 29.0°F | A Few Clouds

Field Hockey Wins Two

By Theresa Power, Meagan Pitts, and Doris Manahan
Team Members

On Saturday the field hockey team defeated Smith College in a New England Women's Eight Conference game to up their record to 63.

Melody Epps '99, the MIT goalkeeper, recorded her first shutout of the season. The Engineers put together two solid halves of hockey and scored their first goal early, with 29:26 left in the first half.

The goal was scored by Margie Tsai '99 off a penalty corner with an assist by Theresa Power '00. Late in the first half, Captain Katherine Merrilees '97 scored to increase MIT's lead to two goals.

The Engineers came out strong in the second half as well and once again scored early off a shot by Power that brought the score to 30. Later in the half, with 10 minutes remaining, Stephanie Maifert '97 scored to increase MIT's lead to four goals. Then with three minutes remaining, Power scored the final goal of the day off a pass from Connie Sadowski '99 to bring the final score to 50.

Coach Cheryl Silva said that she was pleased with her team's performance and was "glad the team put together two solid halves of hockey."

"There was no let up in intensity, which has been a weakness of this team in the past," Silva said. With the victory over Smith, MIT became the week's first place team in the Eastern Collegiate Conference, and Power was named player of the week.

The Engineers proved themselves worthy of these honors by defeating Babson College Tuesday in an away game. Goalkeeper Laura Walker '97 recorded another MIT shutout by blocking six shots and eight penalty corners in the first half. However, at the end of the 70 minutes of regulation time, the score was still 00, which sent the game into overtime.

The Engineers had lost their last overtime game to the University of Massachusetts at Dartmouth just five days earlier, and the team was determined not to let that happen again. Both teams played a strong 15 minutes, but the score remained at 00. After a short break, the teams were back on the field for another round of overtime play.

If no one scored in this second sudden death overtime period, the teams would proceed to strokes on goal. However, with just 5:04 left, Sadowski scored off a rebound from the Babson goalie's pads to end the game with a score of 10.

"Thanks to Laura's fantastic goalkeeping, the solid play of Ellen Hwang '97 at defense and the tremendous effort by the whole team in overtime, MIT came out on top," Silva said of the victory.

Tracy Sadowski '99 "played both overtimes without a break and her sister Connie came up with that clutch goal - her third of the season -which won the game. Nobody let up!," Silva said.

This victory improved the Engineers record to 73. The team's next and final home game of the regular season will be against Clark University Saturday, Oct. 26 at 1:00 p.m. on the Jack Barry Omni Turf.