The Tech - Online EditionMIT's oldest and largest
newspaper & the first
newspaper published
on the web
Boston Weather: 51.0°F | Overcast

Women's Waterpolo Takes Two Matches Decisively

By Darren T. Castro
Staff REporter

The women's water polo team split four games at the Collegiate Water Polo Association's New England Division/Northern Region Tournament, which tool place last weekend at the Alumni Pool. The team's overall record for the year is now at 3-2.

The team fell behind quickly in its opener against the University of Massachusetts and was never able to close the gap. MIT struggled to generate any offense and were outshot 165 in the first half. MIT broke down defensively as well several times, giving up four 1-0 breakaway goals in its 14 first-half turnovers.

UMass took advantage of MIT's difficulties, and led 11-0 at halftime. UMass stretched its second-half lead to 15-1 before MIT battled back with five unanswered goals. Two of the goals came as Alexandra Techet G out-battled her defender in close to beat the goaltender. Techet's third goal came from a four-meter penalty shot.

Adriane Chapman '98 also scored from in the hole during a six-on-five advantage during the run. MIT could get no closer however, and UMass added a goal with five seconds left for the final 16-6 margin.

MITdowns Dartmouth

In the second match, MIT got out to a quick 2-0 lead against Dartmouth University on two goals by Techet. Dartmouth fought back, though, with four of the next five goals to take a 4-3 lead at the end of the first quarter.

MIT applied the defensive clamps in the second quarter to shutdown Dartmouth while tallying three goals of their own. Chapman tied the game 4-4 on a six-on-five goal. Techet scored on a four-meter penalty shot and again on a shot from the wing as the shot clock was expiring to give MIT the 6-4 halftime lead.

A key sequence in the game occurred late in the third quarter. Amy Smith G had just scored to give MIT an 8-5 lead, when Dartmouth was awarded a four-meter penalty shot. Goalkeeper Jeannette Chian '98 came up with a big save on the shot, and MIT went down the pool to score as Chapman connected from the hole off a pass by Nicole Gotti G. The two-goal swing pushed MIT's lead to four goals as the third quarter ended.

Chapman increased MIT's lead to 10-5 on a 6-on-5 goal as she followed the rebound of her own shot and out-muscled her defender. Dartmouth then got three of the next four goals to pull within three at 11-8, but Areej Hassan '99 scored from the wing to put MIT back up four goals, and MIT was able to hang on for a 12-10 win.

MITdrops close one to Harvard

MIT's third game was a very evenly played match against a strong Harvard University team. Harvard jumped on top 1-0 just over one minute into the game, but MIT came back to tie it 1-1 on a score from the hole following a pass in from the wing by Techet.

Harvard got the next goal, but MIT tied it again when Chapman got the ball on the right. Chapman held the ball briefly, faked the goalie out of position and deposited the ball in the goal with 10 seconds remaining in the first quarter. Harvard then scored twice to take a 4-2 half-time lead.

MIT got back within one goal midway through the third quarter when Techet scored a 6-on-5 goal. However, Harvard added two more third quarter goals to lead 6-3 going into the fourth quarter. Chapman added another goal from the hole on another 6-on-5 advantage, but MIT could pull no closer and fell 6-4.

MITsinks Wellesley handily

In Sunday's finale, MIT rode a great game from Chapman (5 goals on 5 shots, 2 assists) to a fairly easy victory over Wellesley. Techet got MIT going early with a four-meter penalty shot score 34 seconds into the game.

After Wellesley tied the game at 1-1, MIT scored three unanswered goals. Gotti tallied first with a long shot at the end of a 6-on-5 advantage. Chapman, in the hole, just beat the shot clock for the second goal after a pass from the wing. Techet next drew a foul in the hole and passed to Smith on the wing for the third goal to give MIT the 4-1 lead.

Wellesley roared back with three goals of their own to tie the game at 4-4 with 44 seconds left in the first half. Clara Yang G then found Chapman in the hole with a long pass; Chapman fought off her defender and scored to give MIT the 5-4 halftime lead.

Wellesley tallied first in the second half to tie the match but MIT, led by Chapman, then took over to put the game out of reach. First, Chapman found a teammate with a pass for a 6-on-5 goal. Then, in a span of less than 100 seconds, Chapman tallied three goals.

The first two came as she pressured the Wellesley player attempting to bring the ball up the pool. Twice Chapman stole the ball, drew the foul, and swam down the pool to receive the free throw pass for open breakaways.

Chapman's final goal came in the hole on a lob shot just over the goalie's outstretched hands and put MIT up 9-5. Xochitl V. Cruz-Gonzalez '99 and others added fourth quarter goals to extend MIT's final margin of victory to 13-5. Chian and Disraelly again shared goalkeeping duties and combined for nine saves to backstop the defense.