The Tech - Online EditionMIT's oldest and largest
newspaper & the first
newspaper published
on the web
Boston Weather: 72.0°F | Mostly Cloudy

Football Ends Season at 3-5 Following 39-6 Bentley Loss

By Thomas R. Kettler
Staff Reporter

In a game not as close as the score, the Bentley College Falcons defeated the MIT Beavers 39--6 Saturday at Steinbrenner Stadium. The defeat ended MIT's season with a record of 3--5 overall and 3--4 in the Eastern Collegiate Football Conference.

Bentley's victory gave them 30 straight overall, an NCAA record for this decade, surpassing the University of Miami's 29 straight.

The game was over in the first half as every series the Falcons had was turned into a touchdown, six in all.

The game started on a high note for the Beavers as Duane P. Stevens '98 recovered a Joe Cerami fumble on the opening kickoff to give MIT the ball at the Bentley 41. However, they did not get a first down and punted.

The Falcons then took the ball at their own 10. They scored from there on a 15-play, 90-yard drive that took over six minutes, ending in a 12-yard touchdown pass. After a failed conversion, Bentley led 6-0.

MIT received the ball and made a couple of first downs. They then had to punt but had it blocked, to give the Falcons the ball at the Beaver 27. As time expired in the first quarter, the Falcons ran the ball into the endzone from the MIT two. However, their PAT kick failed, giving Bentley a 12-0 lead.

The Beavers again had a few first downs after the kickoff. However, this series ended on a Scott J. Vollrath '96 interception pass to give the Falcons the ball at their 43. After an incomplete pass, Joe Ferguson scored on a draw play that covered 57 yards. Mike Vaughn's kick succeeded to give Bentley a 19-0 lead two minutes into the second quarter.

MIT continued to turn over the ball. On their third play following the kickoff, a fumbled pitch was recovered by Bentley at the Beaver 25. Following an MIT penalty for illegal substitution, Ed Mazzuchelli ran the ball 20 yards off tackle for another Falcon TD. Vaughn's second PAT gave Bentley a 26-0 lead four minutes into the quarter.

After Jake Oates intercepted another Vollrath pass, the Falcons had the ball at the Beaver 32. Three plays later, Bentley scored on a sweep from one yard. Another successful PAT made the score 33-0 with nine minutes left in the quarter.

MIT scored its only points on the next drive. The Beavers returned the kickoff to their 33. After Jos DeLen '97 ran 40 yards on what was a halfback-option pass play, MIT had the ball at the Bentley 27. Six plays later, DeLen scored on a five-yard counter play. The touchdown gave DeLen 25 rushing TDs in his career at MIT, a first for any Beaver player. The kick failed, to give the Falcons a 33-6 lead.

The final series of the half resulted in the final score. Bentley returned MIT's kickoff to the Falcon 46. Eleven plays later, Mike Rymsha passed to Darren Lee from the Beaver five for the touchdown with four seconds left in the half. The missed PAT resulted in a halftime 39-6 score.

In the second half, Bentley pulled their starters to avoid running up the score on MIT, resulting in zero scoring. The only highlight was when Kevin J. Ferrigno '96 recovered a fumble with five minutes left in the third quarter.

Despite the results of the game, head coach Dwight Smith was upbeat, saying, "The kids played hard. They had a lot of heart."

DeLen had an excellent game. His 174 rushing yards give him 2,491 for his career. He should, barring injury, finish with at least 3,000 yards and has a reasonable chance at 3,500. He should also finish with over 30 rushing touchdowns and maybe 35.