The Tech - Online EditionMIT's oldest and largest
newspaper & the first
newspaper published
on the web
Boston Weather: 87.0°F | Overcast

Women's Lacross Wins Fourth Straight Game, Improves to 5-1

By Ann Torres
Team Member

The women's lacrosse team beat Elms College 148 on Tuesday to improve its overall season record to 51. This win over Elms is the fourth straight win for the Engineers, who had defeated Colby-Sawyer, Babson, and Wheaton colleges in the previous week.

Play was dominated in the beginning of the first half by the MIT defense which held off numerous scoring attempts by Elms. Although the MIT offense struggled at first against the Elms defense it did not take long for MIT to capitalize on its opponent's weaknesses. Playing a very tight one-on-one defense, Elms allowed MIT to run isolation plays, MIT's specialty. Elms' defensive footwork and stick skills were no match for the speed and agility of the MIT offense.

The first score from MIT came from Surekha Vajjhala '96, who drove from behind goal to exploit the defense and score. The next two goals were scored by captain Ann Torres '96. On one of these goals, Torres was able to tally an easy score after winning the ball from the goalie who had come out of the net and fouled her.

Immediately afterwards, Emily Brown '96 gained possession of the ball off the draw and took it in for a quick goal. The fifth MIT goal was scored by Katherine Merrilees '97 who used her quickness to dodge Elms defenders. The final MIT goal of the half was scored by Ivy McIver '97 who took a skilled step around her defender to put an easy shot into the corner of the net.

The defense remained aggressive against the Elms defense which liked to run the ball down the sideline and hold the ball behind goal. Midfielders Meg Golden '97, Marilyn Vogel '98, Merra Saini'95, and captain Carla Oshiro '95 did a good job containing the ball and slowing down their players at midfield.

With good positioning and tight one-on-one defense, Wendy Silverberg '96, Catherine Mangion '95, and captain Jen Chank '95 were able force turnovers before the other team had a chance to score. The defense held Elms to only three goals in the first half.

Attack continues in second half

After a halftime score of 63, the Engineers were prepared to take complete control of the game. Coming out with force and intensity, MIT assaulted the Elms defense to quickly change the score to 93.

The attack began with McIver, who scored off a free position in front of the net. Next Torres beat her defender to score an easy goal after receiving a good pass from a teammate. By making great connecting passes all over the field, MIT was able to easily move the ball around the Elms team.

MIT continued its attack on Elms with two more goals from Merrilees. Following this, Brown asserted herself in front of the net to score the 11th MIT goal. This was followed by goals from both Oshiro and Saini who had worked hard to get free in front of the goal. The final MIT goal was scored by Mindy Moss '95 who used her stickwork and speed to avoid Elms' swinging sticks.

Throughout this half, MIT defense made it difficult for Elms to even up the score. Merrilees, Mangion, Moss, and Saini battled hard on the ground to pick up loose balls. Heads up defense by MIT was able to intercept and capitalize on bad passes forced by Elms. By the end of the half Elms had only scored 5 goals. Goalie Jo Kussmaul had a great game, saving 62 percent of the shots taken by Elms.

In this game, MIT was able to show the strength and depth of its team. In a squad of sixteen, eight different players stepped up to score for the Engineers.

MIT's next game is at home Thursday evening at 7 p.m. against Western New England College on the turf field.