The Tech - Online EditionMIT's oldest and largest
newspaper & the first
newspaper published
on the web
Boston Weather: 76.0°F | Partly Cloudy

Strong 2nd Half Lifts Women's

Helen M. Lin--The Tech
Nicole D. Gerrish '98 takes a shot in Tuesday's basketball game against Simmons College. MIT won 61-44.

By Thomas Kettler
Staff Reporter

The women's basketball team took control in the second half against a tired Simmons College team to win 6144 Tuesday afternoon at Rockwell Cage.

The nonconference victory made the team 42 in preparation for its final game of 1994, which takes place Tuesday at Daniel Webster College.

Starting guard C.J. Doane '95 led the team with 20 points while starting guard Nicole Gerrish '98 and reserve guard Sarah Davis '97 each added 10. Reserve forward Amy Horr '98 led the team with 11 rebounds. C.J. Doane had seven rebounds, followed by starting forward Amy MacKay '97 with six. Reserve guard Nitza Basoco '98 led the team with four assists, and starting forward Jen Boyle '96 had four steals.

The first four minutes had both teams trading baskets to a 55 tie. Then with 15 minutes, 30 seconds left in the half starting center Kristin Ratliff '95 gave MIT its first lead at 75. Four minutes later, Simmons retook the lead at 1211.

The lead continued to change hands throughout the first half. Then with 45 seconds left, MacKay converted two free throws to give the Engineers a 2726 lead which would not be relinquished. A Gerrish field goal made the score 2926 at halftime.

Neither team shot very well from the floor with Simmons shooting 35 percent to MIT's 38 percent. Both did much better at the line with the Sharks shooting 78 percent and the Engineers 71 percent.

Individually at the half, Doane and Gerrish led the team with eight points while Herr had six rebounds and Doane had three.

After a Simmons free throw made the score 2927, MIT countered with a 62 break to make the score 3529 with 14:50 left in the game.

With 14:35 left, the Sharks' Nicole Donnelly made the score 3531 which would be as close as Simmons would ever get since they would not score until there was 10:21 left, when the score was 4433 and the game was effectively over.

With one minute left, a Basoco field goal gave MIT its largest lead of the game with a 6040 score. After a Sharks' field goal and an Engineers' free throw made the score 6142, the Sharks' Mary Schneider made a field goal to give the final score 6144.

The shooting from the field worsened in the second half for Simmons as they made only 31 percent for the half to finish at 33 percent while MIT shot better with 42 percent in the second half to finish at 40 percent. Both teams shot roughly 53 percent for the game from the line.

Head coach Suzan Rowe was upbeat about the victory, saying "A win's a win, we'll take it."