The Tech - Online EditionMIT's oldest and largest
newspaper & the first
newspaper published
on the web
Boston Weather: 68.0°F | A Few Clouds

Men's Soccer Creams Curry Colonels, 6-1

By Thomas Kettler
Staff Reporter

In a game that demonstrated the firepower that the MIT men's soccer team has this year, the Engineers defeated the Curry Colonels by a score of 61 in a conference game Thursday at Steinbrenner Stadium.

The victory puts the team 561 overall and in the Constitution Athletic Conference.

The relentless offense by MIT kept the ball on the Curry half of the field for most of the first half and netted the Engineers five goals. However, the Colonels scored its only goal of the game first. It occurred 12 minutes, 46 seconds into the game when Drew Lalor took the ball from Tad Holland and kicked it into the MIT net.

Nathan Watson '95 countered two minutes later on his third goal of the season to tie the match. The teams traded corner kicks for the next three minutes until Andres Villaquiran '97 scored his fifth of the season after Matt Sills could not clear the ball out of the Curry half. On the play Samuel Pearlman '96 registered his fourth assist of the season, along with Robert Frederick '95, who contributed his first.

Following the second MIT goal, Curry took the ball and moved it to the Engineer goal. They almost tied but Raja Jindal '95 made an excellent save to blunt a Colonel threat only 30 seconds after Villaquiran's goal.

Four minutes later, Paul Mashikian '95 scored his first goal of the season when he slammed a rebound off a Villaquiran shot into the Curry net. Villaquiran registered his fourth assist on the play.

After keeping the ball in the Curry half of the field for the next five minutes, Pearlman connected on his fifth goal of the season on Frederick's second assist to give MIT a safe 41 lead.

However, MIT still was not finished. After trading corner kicks with Curry for the next 10 minutes, MIT had a free kick with 2:29 to play in the half. Jaime Sarabia '98 converted the free kick for his first goal of the season. The resulting 51 Engineer lead would stand until halftime.

For the half, MIT had 14 shots to Curry's eight but the number of corner kicks was even at four for each team.

In the second half, the officials kept watch on offsides. Consequently, the Engineers were called three times during the half and twice in a 30-second period. However, MIT continued to press Curry.

The pressure resulted in one final goal as Pearlman connected on his second goal of the game, and sixth of the season, on an assist by Thomas Barber '97.

However, Curry did have a significant weapon in their arsenal. Whenever the ball would go out of bounds after an MIT player touched it, the Colonels had Holland inbound the ball. His throw-in passes would go 30 or 40 yards directly at the MIT goal.

Fortunately for MIT, Jindal made some excellent saves by stopping those throw-ins. Holland's arm and accuracy could have been greatly used by the Curry football team last week against MIT.

Head coach Walter Alessi said, "When we play well, we can have a result like this. We play inconsistently."

"Good way to finish our home" season, Alessi said.