Man Dies Working in E19By Don Lacey
The Middlesex County Medical Examiner's Office has ruled that the Sept. 13 death of an elevator maintenance man in Building E19 was caused by electrocution and coronary artery disease.
Richard N. Coggswell, 55, an employee of F.S. Payne Elevator Co., died while painting the floor of an elevator machine room on the roof of E19, said Chief of Campus Police Anne P. Glavin. Payne Elevator services all of MIT's elevators.
According to John DeMartino, the president of Payne Elevator, Coggswell had filed a medical claim a few years ago for a heart condition, but the company was not aware that he had any current health problems.
"We're all saddened and shocked by the death of Mr. Coggswell. He was an excellent employee, and we're all going to miss him," DeMartino said. Payne Elevator has approximately 200 employees.
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration, which is responsible for ensuring safe working conditions, is conducting an investigation into Coggswells' death.