The Tech - Online EditionMIT's oldest and largest
newspaper & the first
newspaper published
on the web
Boston Weather: 71.0°F | A Few Clouds

Engineers Bully Bisons in 9-2 Win

By Thomas Kettler
Staff Reporter

In a game that was not nearly as close as the 92 score indicated, the men's soccer team beat the Nichols College Bisons Saturday at Steinbrenner Stadium. The non-conference game put the Engineers 21 overall while the Bisons fell to 05 overall.

The Engineers scored very quickly, getting their first goal only 41 seconds into the game when Robert Frederick '95 scored from the right half of the field after two crosscourt passes messed up the Bisons' defense. Co-captain Alan Love '95 assisted on the play. Eight minutes later, Samuel Pearlman '96 assisted on the first of four Andres Villaquiran '97 goals. Villaquiran consistently created problems for Nichols as he could fake out some of the Nichols defenders.

Ten minutes into the game, Nichols finally got the ball on the MIT half of the field and had their first shot on the goal, but Co-captain Raja Jindal '95 saved.

Two minutes later, the first major foul occurred when Brian Fitzgerald of Nichols received a yellow card for delay of game. However, MIT could not capitalize on the penalty kick that resulted from the card.

At the 15-minute mark of the game, Villaquiran scored his second goal on an assist by Paul Mashikian '95. Three minutes later, Villaquiran scored his third goal of the game unassisted for the hat trick.

With 10 minutes left in the half, MIT received the first of its two yellow cards when Jason Miller '97 was penalized. Nathan Watson '95 closed out the scoring for the half on an assist by Jaime Sarabia '98 with eight minutes left in the half.

Coach changes goalkeepers

With the five-goal lead, Coach Walter Alessi replaced Jindal at goal with midfielder, Brian D'Amato '96. D'Amato would play the sweeper defenseman position later in the game. Alessi said the team has "a lot of good players and [I] want to get them in different positions."

Six minutes into the half, the Bison's Fitzgerald received his second yellow card which resulted in a red card or his ejection. Consequently, Nichols had to play a man down for the remainder of the match.

MIT used this to their advantage as Frederick scored on an assist by Villaquiran five minutes later. Villaquiran got his final goal three minutes later on an assist by David Roberts '95. Two minutes after that, Pearlman got a goal on another assister by Love. The final Engineers goal occurred three minutes later when Roberts scored an unassisted goal after going around two defenders. After this goal, Alessi played his remaining substitutes and changed goalies again with D'Amato moving to sweeper.

With 12 minutes left, Nichols finally got on the scoreboard with an unassisted goal by Chris Diguette. Six minutes later, Derek Graves of the Bisons closed out the scoring with another unassisted goal. Alessi was unconcerned about these goals, saying, "We wanted the win more than getting the shutout. We couldn't play our first group all the time."

Alessi said he was pleased with his team's scoring ability.

The men's soccer team plays their next league game at Worcester Polytechnic Institute tomorrow and their next home game next Tuesday against Babson College.