The Tech - Online EditionMIT's oldest and largest
newspaper & the first
newspaper published
on the web
Boston Weather: 35.0°F | Fog/Mist

Hockey Team Wins Against Holy Cross

By Haider A. Hamoudi
Sports Editor

The women's hockey team triumphed against its Holy Cross competitors by a score of 2-1 last Wednesday night in the Johnson Athletic Center.

The game was controlled by the Engineers from the outset. Virtually the entire first period was played in the Holy Cross zone, and the Engineer defenders did an excellent job keeping the puck from crossing the blue line.

Unfortunately, MIT was unable to score any goals in the period, despite two power plays and plenty of opportunities. This was partly caused by the excellent play of the Holy Cross goalkeeper, but it also must be noted that the Engineers did not shoot very well throughout the period.

Until forward Tiina Hameenanttila '94 nearly scored on a breakaway with 10 seconds left in the period, the Engineers never really threatened the Holy Cross goal, which is quite surprising considering how long the Engineers had controlled the puck.

The second period was a much better one for the Engineers. They opened the period immediately with a near score by Shari Schuchmann G after only 1 minute, 53 seconds had elapsed. Schuchmann nearly scored again minutes later after receiving a beautiful pass from Aradhana Narula G, but the goalkeeper of Holy Cross again made a nice save.

Nevertheless, the shots kept coming, and with 10:53 remaining Jill Angle scored the first goal of the night. But the Engineers were not satisfied with only a one goal lead. With about five minutes remaining, signs of frustration were beginning to show in the Holy Cross defense. The Crusaders had sustained nearly a period's worth of punishment from the MIT offense, but they had managed to hold the Engineers to only one goal.

This suddenly changed, however, when Hameenanttila scored with 2:53 remaining. The Engineers almost scored again less than half a minute later after a Helen Grainer breakaway, and then defender Esther Jesurum G was almost able to take the puck in and score herself, but both shots were successfully saved. The period ended with the score 2-0, but Holy Cross was lucky that the lead was not larger.

When the third period opened, it seemed unlikely that Holy Cross was going to mount a serious comeback. The Engineers maintained pressure on the Holy Cross goal early, and the puck almost never reached the Engineer zone.

Sloppy play, however, resulted in a Holy Cross goal with 4:51 left in the final period. Immediately afterwards it appeared as if the game might be tied when a number of shots were taken on the MIT goal, but with about three minutes left, the puck was brought down to the other end of the ice, and it never left until the game ended with MIT ahead 2-1.