The Tech - Online EditionMIT's oldest and largest
newspaper & the first
newspaper published
on the web
Boston Weather: 40.0°F | A Few Clouds

Beavers Buffalo Bisons, 43-7

By Thomas Kettler
Staff Reporter

The football team played a practically perfect football game Saturday against the Bisons of Nichols College. The final score was 43-7 but the game wasn't even that close; most of the MIT starters were removed after the beginning of the second half when the game was already decided.

The Beavers defeated the Bisons on offense, defense and special teams. The game raised MIT's record to 4-1-0 in the league and 4-2-0 overall and has set a match against Bentley in two weeks for the win of the Eastern Collegiate Football Conference, to take place here at MIT.

In the first quarter, MIT scored three touchdowns and got an early 20-0 lead against Nichols. Jose DeLeon '97 scored all the touchdowns on runs of two, four and a new school record of 86 yards, while the defense did not allow Nichols to get one first down in the first quarter. The offense, while not attempting a pass, had 193 rushing yards in the quarter which also allowed the Beavers to control the ball for over ten minutes.

DeLeon described his run after the game: "I had my buddies beside me telling me that they wanted me to break the big one. Once I went in there, I was determined to get a good one. I just went on the 34 blast and when I saw the hole, I just took it and I was gone."

In the second quarter, MIT continued to score while Nichols got its only points of the game. The Bisons scored their only points on a 31-yard pass from Bill Carven to Mark Primavera four minutes into the quarter. Primavera then converted the point after attempt.

MIT answered with a 51-yard drive highlighted by a seven-yard touchdown run by quarterback John Hur '94.

After this, the special teams participated in the massacre as Cal Perez '97 blocked a Nichols punt and Calvin Newman '96 recovered the block and returned it thirteen yards for another Beaver touchdown.

After the ensuing kickoff, Perez intercepted a pass at the MIT 37-yard line. This set up the final MIT touchdown which occurred on a 28-yard fly pattern from Hur to DeLeon with seven seconds left in the half. A run on the fake point after attempt failed, so the half ended with MIT leading, 40-7.

In the second half, head coach Dwight Smith removed many of the starters on both offense and defense from play. However, the Beavers continued to dominate in the third quarter when, six minutes into the quarter, an MIT sack of Carven and a tipped punt led to a 23-yard field goal by Dan McGahn '94 . No more scoring occurred in the game although Nolan Duffin '94 intercepted a pass in the third quarter and Mike Longcor '96 recovered a fumble to stall two Bison drives.

Overall, the team played quite well. DeLeon ran for 211 yards on 21 carries and would have broken the MIT individual game rushing record of 270 if the game had been close. However, he now has 844 rushing yards and can easily surpass 1,000 for the season.

DeLeon was not disappointed that he missed breaking the MIT record. "Actually, I just like playing ball. I'm not going out there to break any records. I'm not greedy. I understand that everyone wants to play so this is the perfect opportunity to get everyone to play," he said.

The offensive line, or "Hogs" opened holes all day against Nichols' defensive line for the running backs. Calvin Newman '96 prevented the league's leading receiver, Chris Maher, from making a catch, returned a blocked punt, and was named the ECFC defensive player of the week.

MIT led in yardage over Nichols, 382 to 224 but it could have been worse because the Beavers' defense allowed most of the yardage in the second half, with the starting line-up on the sidelines.

Smith was pleased with the team's performance. "Hard work plays off.<\f>.<\f>.<\f>. We've had our rough times. Finally, it's pay-back time. It's a nice afternoon and I was glad for MIT. It's good for the homecoming. A win is a win."