Clarification of Electronic NewspapersI appreciate the thoroughness of the article you ran about our project/experiment discussing personal newspapers via electronic mail ["Freshman Seminar Develops Electronic Newspapers," Oct. 5]. As a result of your article, I have received inquiries on how to access the project's news service. I would like to offer some clarifications:
* Although the project is call the Freshman Newspaper Project, it is open to all users of Athena.
* To access the system on an Athena X workstation, you need to type "add sipb" and then you can run the xmosaic program by typing "xmosaic." You will find the project listed as the "Freshman Fishwrap" towards the end of SIPB's main Xmosaic page near The Tech listing.
* We will be offering some news feature services that are not offered anywhere else on-line at Athena while we are constructing the personalized news service. We hope readers will find them informative and entertaining.
* We will not be collecting any information about individuals unless they have explicitly consented to be part of this experiment.
* At present we are experiencing some technical difficulties. This means that portions of the system are coming on-line later than we expected. Status of the system message will be visible to all users of our system.
If anyone has problems with the system they can send mail to fishwrap@media .mit.edu, or directly to me, at lacsap @media.mit.edu.