The Tech - Online EditionMIT's oldest and largest
newspaper & the first
newspaper published
on the web
Boston Weather: 37.0°F | A Few Clouds

Student Robbed at Gunpoint Outside Building 1

By Jackson Jung
Associate News Editor

This Sunday at 12:30 a.m., an MIT student was robbed at gunpoint on Memorial Drive near Building 1.

The thief approached the student and said, "I've got a gun at your back. Empty your pockets and give me your wallet." The student handed over his wallet, which contained $10. He was then told to get down on the ground as the robber fled.

The student described the assailant as a 5-foot, 7-inch black male, in his twenties. He was wearing a black jacket, white shirt, and black pants.

Despite a search of the area, the campus police did apprehend the suspect.

Anne P. Glavin, chief of campus police, believes the victim used the emergency phone located about 60 feet from the scene of the crime to contact campus police, which helped speed the response.

This was one of the emergency phones installed following the murder of Yngve K. Raustein '94 on Memorial Drive this past fall, in order to improve the safety along the road. Glavin noted that the emergency telephones do not actually stop crimes, but give potential victims more accessibility to the campus police.

In the crime bulletin describing this incident, the campus police recommended using the campus safety shuttle service, A Safe Ride, after dark. However, in this case, the closest shuttle stop was at 77 Massachusetts Ave.

Glavin said that this was not an unusual crime, considering this is an urban campus.

In an unrelated incident, an MIT student confronted two suspicious, white, teenage males in the courtyard of the New West Campus Houses. According to the campus police log, the incident occurred at 10:18 p.m. on Saturday night. The teenagers had scaled the walls to enter the area, and one of them threatened the student with a knife before leaving.

The student and other witnesses described the intruders to the campus police, who were later arrested by campus police. The campus police refused to release the names of the two suspects.

(Editor's note: Sarah Y. Keightley contributed to the reporting of this story.)