The Tech - Online EditionMIT's oldest and largest
newspaper & the first
newspaper published
on the web
Boston Weather: 62.0°F | Overcast

Springfield Slips Past Men's Swimmers by 16

In its third dual meet of the season, the men's swimming and diving team suffered a narrow 112-128 defeat by Springfield College at theAlumni Pool last Saturday.

The Engineers took the early point lead by placing 1-3-4 in the opening event of the meet, the 400 medley relay. MIT's A-relay squad crushed Springfield's A-squad by a victory margin of 6.08 seconds.

In the next two events, the 1000 and 200 freestyles, Springfield took over the point lead from MIT by placing 1-3-4 and 1-4-6 respectively. The solid victory of team co-captain Brian Meade '93 in the 50 freestyle (21.86) was followed by a 2-3-6 finish in the 200 individual medley. The score was 47-46 for Springfield.

Springfield continued its victory roll by placing 1-3-4 in 1-meter springboard diving, and by a 1-2 sweep of the 200 butterfly. Meade reversed this trend by winning the 100 freestyle in 47.91, outtouching Springfield's runner-up Bray by only 0.05 seconds.

The MIT winning streak continued in the 200 backstroke, where Ted Achtem '95 triumphed with a winning time of 2:02.01. But in the 500 freestyle, team co-captain Bob Rockwell '93was outtouched by 0.39 seconds by Schade of Springfield.

The Engineers got back on their winning roll with stellar performances in the next two events. Rajesh Anandan '95 placed a solid first in 3-meter springboard diving. In the 200 breaststroke, Brian Dye '96 crushed the field with a lane 6 victory in 2:18.89, 1.08 seconds ahead of the runner-up from Springfield.

"It kind of happened," said Dye. "I gave everything I had and won." Dye later explainedthat he worked on his stroke technique with head coach John Benedick during the team's training trip to St. Croix in early January. "The effort paid off - I dropped 11 seconds off my last dual meet time," he concluded.

The meet ended with the 400 freestyle relay. Springfield fielded a victorious squad, winning in 3:17.96, 2.03 seconds ahead of MIT's A-squad. Jon Pfautz '95 was praised by the team captains for his superb anchor leg in the relay, in which he established a personal best time.

"During the first half of the meet, our team was not mentally into it, and we lost some points," said Benedick, "but the team got together as the meet continued." "It was a good effort. We tried to win, and we did have some good races," Meade added.