The Tech - Online EditionMIT's oldest and largest
newspaper & the first
newspaper published
on the web
Boston Weather: 83.0°F | Partly Cloudy

Women's Soccer Team Beats Wellesley 5-2

By Gwendolyn Watanabe
Team Member

The women's soccer team beat rival Wellesley College for the first time in four years last week. The 5-2 win can be attributed to a true team effort by the Beavers.

Right from the beginning, MIT consistently beat the Wellesley players to the ball. Forward Becky Hill '95 put MIT in the lead by scoring on a breakaway after 14:10. Hill, Audrey Liu '93, and Theresa Chiueh '94 played a key factor in breaking down the Wellesley defense with their speed.

The MIT offense was able to take the Beavers' defensive clears directly to the goal. By keeping constant pressure on Wellesley's defense, the offense was able to complete passes, follow through on shots, and score.

Once again, the Beavers' scoring powerhouse was Chantal Wright '95, who scored two goals. Forward Sheila Jhawar '94 secured the game for the Beavers by scoring from the far post. Fullback Sara Lee '96 had her first goal of the season, scoring off a deflection from the Wellesley goalie.

MIT's successful offensive attack was built up from the strength of the defense. The Beavers' defense was able to hold Wellesley to eight shots on goal with superior play by halfback Celia Fleming '93, outside fullbacks Debbie Gustafson '95 and Sameera Iyengar '93, and sweeper Emily Brown '95. The MIT defense never let down throughout the game and was able to consistently clear the ball to the halfbacks. Goalie Meg O'Neill '93 had an excellent game, collecting six saves.

This was the Beavers' first truly challenging game since they played Mt. Holyoke four weeks ago, and the Beavers rose to the occasion. Coach Suzan Rowe summed the game up well, saying, "I thought it was one of the better games the team has played. . . . They accepted the challenge as a team and I am very proud of their effort."

The women's soccer team will play Babson at 10:30 a.m. Saturday in Steinbrenner Stadium.