Burning Motor Forces Dormitory EvacuationBy Josh Hartmann
A burning elevator motor in the basement of McCormick Hall yesterday afternoon sent smoke billowing up to the fourth floor and forced the evacuation of approximately 60 residents. No one was injured.
"It created a lot of smoke," said Bailey E. Hewit, the all-female dormitory's house manager. "The elevator stopped, and the smoke went up to the fourth floor -- it was heaviest on the second floor. The fire alarm was pulled by a CP and the building was evacuated."
Campus Police and firefighters from the Cambridge Fire Department responded to the 1 p.m. alarm, Hewit said. The elevator is out of service, she said.
No one was in the elevator at the time, and the 60 residents who were evacuated were left outside for about 30 minutes, Hewit said.