The Tech - Snowy Online EditionMIT's oldest and largest
newspaper & the first
newspaper published
on the web
Boston Weather: 32.0°F | Snow Fog and Windy

MIT employee terminated without due notifce

I am a 50-year old male nurse who put in 18 years of service on the inpatient unit of MIT Medical Department without any problems until July of 1989.

I was called into Co-Director of Nursing Services Maureen Dickey's office. Associate Medical Director Michael A. Kane was present, and I was terminated without any previous written or verbal warnings.

I had just gotten over open-heart surgery for a ruptured aorta and felt somewhat depressed. When I was told I was terminated I was shocked and got further depressed and decided to seek help using the usual grievance procedures.

I went to see Arnold N. Weinberg, medical director and head of the Medical Department, who listened but didn't offer to do anything. I went to the Medical Department Executive Director Linda L. Rounds, and she said she couldn't get involved because too many people were already involved, where in reality no one was helping me at all.

Shortly afterwards, I got a letter from Rounds stating that I should only be in the building for medical appointments and that if I'm seen there talking with anyone, the Campus Police would be called to remove me.

I then went to see personnel officer Maureen C. Wolfe, who thought it was terrible that I got no verbal or written warnings for the 3 months before the termination. I then saw Susan Gaskell, and she too thought it was terrible that I had no written or verbal warnings as policy states I should have had.

I then went to see Special Assistant to the President Mary P. Rowe, and she too thought it terrible that I received no written or verbal warnings. I got no support, help, or suggestions from anyone, and was terminated without question and without any psychological testing for competence.

I applied for a disability, and if it weren't for my family I would have been out on the street, because it took one and a half years for the disability to come through.

The issues used to terminate me are things that nurses do every day and each nurse reminds the others of omissions or the record room sends the chart back to the nurse to fill in the missing items. I was not given that chance. I was terminated.

The issues of grave concern brought forth involved no danger to any patient. I am suing for wrongful discharge. Dickey also told me that if I tried to fight her, she would notify the Board of Registration of Nursing of my incompetence.

On May 2, 1989 -- I was told how well I was doing and then nothing further until the last two weeks of July, when I was terminated on July 28, 1989.

Robert Russell->