The Tech - Online EditionMIT's oldest and largest
newspaper & the first
newspaper published
on the web
Boston Weather: 45.0°F | Overcast

Water polo tops BC in 17-16 thriller:
Schnorr's 6 goals lead Engineers

By Jordan J. Ditchek

The water polo team overcame a late surge by visiting Boston College, to come away with a 17-16 victory Wednesday night in the semi-final match of the water polo Beanpot Tournament. MIT improved its record to 4-10 with the exciting, one-point win at the Alumni Pool.

The Engineers scored their first goal after only 19 seconds of play, using three quick passes to beat an aggressive defensive attack by BC. Three minutes later MIT increased the lead to 4-1 when Lon Van Geloven '91 converted a steal by Geoffrey Deane '92 into a quick goal. It appeared that the Eagles, who had trouble mounting an offensive attack early on, were in for a long night.

MIT maintained the three-goal lead through the end of the first period, but watched it disappear before halftime. In its best offensive effort of the game, BC scored six goals in a span of five minutes during the second period. The Eagles used long passes from the goalie to the wings in a run-and-gun (actually swim-and-gun) style attack to tie the game at 7-7, with 4:25 remaining in the half.

Strong play from co-captain Will Schnorr '91 countered the BC scoring run. Schnorr scored three of his team-leading six goals in the quarter, preventing the Eagles from ever capturing the lead. After two periods, the home team led 11-9.

The third quarter featured outstanding play by MIT goalie, Chad Gunnlausson '93. Gunnlausson broke up BC passes and made several great saves on shots fired at him from the hole. Freshman Gregory Shank scored his third goal after faking a pass with 24 seconds left in the period to give MIT a 15-12 lead. The Engineers had several hurried scoring opportunities in the last 15 seconds but again failed to extend their lead to four points.

The last period began with MIT attempting to stall as BC applied heavy defensive pressure. The teams traded goals on almost identical plays involving quick passes from the holemen to wings cutting towards the goal. Bob Iacobucci scored three times for BC, the third one an arcing shot over the defense with only 35 seconds remaining. With the score 17-16 in favor of MIT, BC called timeout.

During the timeout, MIT head coach John Benedick instructed his team to hold the ball until time ran out. Instead, a shot was attempted and blocked by BC goalie Stephen Dore. Seconds later, at the other end of the pool, Gunnlausson robbed a wide open BC player of the tying goal with 11 seconds left. Isy Goldwasser '92 pounced on a loose ball with three seconds remaining to preserve to victory.

After the game, Benedick praised his team's effort as "the best we've ever played. I saw smart play, something I haven't seen a lot this season."

Boston College coach Jerry Moss watched his team fall to 7-12 on the season. He described the play of his Eagles as "sloppy, with capital letters." Ross stated that his attempt to use a "two-platoon" approach, in which he substituted six players at a time, was countered effectively by MIT.

(Editor's note: MIT took on Harvard University last night at Harvard in the Beanpot finals. Results were unavailable as the Tech went to press.)