The Tech - Online EditionMIT's oldest and largest
newspaper & the first
newspaper published
on the web
Boston Weather: 43.0°F | Partly Cloudy

Two men attack student outside of Bexley Hall

By Prabhat Mehta

An MIT student was attacked by two young males outside Bexley Hall at approximately 5:30 pm Wednesday.

Karl O. Dishaw '89, a Bexley resident, said two black youths jumped out from a car on Massachusetts Avenue and chased him into the Bexley courtyard. Before he was able to enter the building, one of the men punched him over the left ear, he said.

The punch was not serious enough to warrant hospitalization, and nothing was stolen, Dishaw added.

Dishaw said that the incident began after he purchased a copy of The New York Times from a machine by Massachusetts Avenue. One of three or four men in a small, "sporty" black car nearby then asked him, "Where'd you get that paper?" according to Dishaw. He responded by pointing to the machine.

One of the youths then became hostile, saying, "Well, I want that [paper]," Dishaw claimed. To this, Dishaw responded by saying "tough," after which two of the men in the car jumped out and began chasing him.

The chase led into the Bexley courtyard, as Dishaw attempted to reach the door closest to Bexley's desk. While running up the steps to the door, one of the two "grabbed my coat," Dishaw said. Dishaw was able to break free, but the same youth managed to punch him in the head, over the left ear, he added.

As Dishaw ran inside Bexley, the two assailants began to flee. Other than the punch, which resulted in a bruise, Dishaw did not suffer any physical harm, and nothing was stolen, he reported. "They didn't even get the newspaper," he said.

Dishaw phoned the Campus Police shortly after the incident, and an officer arrived in approximately 15-20 minutes to take a statement, according to Dishaw.

But both Dishaw and Campus Police Chief Anne P. Glavin felt it was unlikely that anything could be done to find the assailants because of insufficient information. Dishaw was only able to get a close look at the man who punched him, he said.

The description he was able to provide Campus Police was "useless," Dishaw said. Dishaw was also unable to get the license plate number of the car.

"It seemed to be a bizarre, random incident," Glavin said. Unless the youths return, "there's no way to find out who the person was."

Glavin noted that, according to Campus Police records, this was an isolated incident. "There's no reason to believe that this type of thing has been going on," she said.