The Tech - Online EditionMIT's oldest and largest
newspaper & the first
newspaper published
on the web
Boston Weather: 47.0°F | Overcast

Gary David Romano

Gary David Romano

Gary David Romano '86 died Sunday morning at Massachusetts General Hospital of multiple injuries suffered in a car accident. He was 21 years old.

Police saw Romano driving at "about 100 mph" in Everett, according to the Boston Herald. Everett police pursued him for "erratic operation," said Everett Police Chief Stewart, but lost sight of his car. Metropolitan Police also spotted Romano and then lost him, the Herald said.

Romano's car was found overturned on Malden Street in Malden at 2:47 am, according to Malden police. It had struck several parked cars and uprooted a tree. Romano died at the hospital at 7:15 am.

Police do not know why Romano tried to escape them, Stewart said. The hospital would not release the result of a blood alcohol test.

Romano was a member of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity. He played on almost all of the fraternity's intramural teams, including football, soccer, softball and octathon, according to SAE brother Benge Ambrogi.

Ambrogi described Romano as an excellent, multitalented athlete as well as a "very friendly, very funny, very happy" person. Romano was also "a leadership figure" who was "a lot looked up to" in the house," Ambrogi said. His nickname was "Cheese" as in Romano cheese

Romano, a senior majoring in electrical engineering, was "really interested in all parts of electrical engineering," said his advisor, Jeffrey H. Lang '75. Romano "enjoyed being here at MIT" and was "one of the more friendly and outgoing students I've met as an advisor," Lang added. He had worked for Hughes Aircraft in California last summer.

Romano, the youngest of four children, is survived by his parents, Tony and Rose Romano of Warren, Ohio, and by his brother Tony and sisters Eilleen and Mary. A memorial service was held yesterday in the MIT Chapel, and the funeral will take place tomorrow in his hometown.