The Tech - Online EditionMIT's oldest and largest
newspaper & the first
newspaper published
on the web
Boston Weather: 73.0°F | Partly Cloudy

Kappa Sigma wins IM frisbee for eighth year

By Janice Marchiafava

Kappa Sigma defeated Phi Delta Theta, 10-6, in the A-league ultimate frisbee finals, marking the eighth consecutive year that Kappa Sig won the A-league title.

The teams played a close contest through the first 20 minutes, the score tied 4-4 at the half. Kappa Sig took command in the second half, however, outplaying PDT to win easily.

The first score of the game characterized the play: PDT mistakes resulted in a Kappa Sig score within the first minute.

The teams appeared evenly matched, though, when two minutes later, PDT evened the score after Kappa Sig dropped an extremely catchable pass in the end zone.

Despite some careless plays, Kappa Sig managed to score again two minutes later. Freshman Daryl Habberstad, playing another fine game, stole the frisbee twice to keep the drive going.

A succession of mistakes and missed scoring opportunities for both teams ensued during the next five minutes. PDT missed three passes in the end zone, but the biggest blunder came when a Kappa Sig player threw the frisbee at a PDT player, who caught it on the rebound and scored, evening it up at 2-2.

Team play was minimal, but Kappa Sig outclassed PDT in one-on-one matchups. Habberstad and Kevin Verhage '87 manufactured the drive, leading to an easy score at 12 minutes.

Inability to coordinate the individual players proved costly, though, as Kappa Sig could not score on a PDT turnover 10 yards from the end zone. Again a single player was able to turn things around, though. The score came on a leaping, acrobatic catch by John Travers amid a crowd of three defenders.

Kappa Sig seemed to be well in control, with a 4-2 lead and five minutes left in the half. But another series of mistakes allowed PDT to score. First, a Kappa Sig defender tipped a PDT end zone pass into the hands of the intended receiver, cutting the lead to 4-3. Careless defensive play left a PDT man open in the end zone two minutes later, making the score 4-4 at the half.

The second half looked like more of the same, as both teams continued to play carelessly, missing throws repeatedly. Kappa Sig still seemed to be almost alone on the field at times, however, outdistancing the PDT defense to score on a strong drive two minutes into the half.

A Kappa Sig defender again tipped a PDT pass to another PDT player, leading to a tie score.

Kappa Sig finally decided that it was time to get down to serious play. Captain Keith Daly '85 provided the motivation, getting support from the teams' four other seniors: Richard Corkran, Ray Lizotte, Kevin Moore and Mark Schlueter.

The game was basically over for PDT, from this point. The cross-river rivals were simply not able to keep up with Kappa Sig's offensive attack. Chris Corcoran G and Eric Park '87 turned in fine performances for PDT, but they could not stop the renewed intensity of Kappa Sig's team effort.

Kappa Sig scored twice to take the score to 7-5. A last-ditch effort by PDT resulted in their final score of the game. The contest then became an exhibition for Kappa Sig, which scored three more times in the game. The first goal came close on PDT`s score. It was followed by another one 30 seconds later, and a third after another 45 seconds, yielding a final tally of 10-6.