The Tech - Online EditionMIT's oldest and largest
newspaper & the first
newspaper published
on the web
Boston Weather: 62.0°F | Mostly Cloudy

KS, PDT advance to IM finals

Kappa Sigma defeated Phi Kappa Theta, 11-10, and Phi Delta Theta beat Next House, 11-9, Saturday to advance to tonight's A-league ultimate frisbee finals.

The first semifinal game inexplicably pitted Kappa Sig and PKT, the two divisional champions, against each other. The match-up proved worthy of the finals, as the game went into triple overtime.

PKT opened the scoring on its first possession. The lead was short-lived, however, as Kappa Sig scored less than a minute later to tie the game.

Kappa Sig scored the next three in a row, jumping to a 4-1 lead and leaving PKT looking a bit bewildered with five minutes left in the half. PKT captain Paul Herrmann '86 managed to revive his team in the last two minutes, trading points with Kappa Sig, then scoring twice in the final minute to close the gap to 5-4 at the half.

PKT kept its momentum through the early part of the second half. A quick score tied the game at 5-5 in the first minute, and two more goals in the first five minutes gave PKT a 7-5 edge. Kappa Sig had, meanwhile, committed a foul and missed an opportunity to score, overthrowing the frisbee in the end zone.

Kappa Sig revived, in turn, thanks to a pair of fine defensive plays by Daryl Habberstad, '88. They were finally able to score nine minutes into the second half, bringing the score to 7-6.

Kappa Sig captain Keith Daly, '85, kept up the intensity in the remainder of regualtion time, as his team followed a PKT score with three of its own.

Kappa Sig held a 9-8 lead, and seemingly a win, with 33 seconds left in the game, but once again PKT came back. The 9-9 tie resulted from an strong PKT scoring drive with only 20 seconds left, sending the game into its first overtime.

Each team missed an opportunity to score in the first overtime, as PKT had a pass knocked down in the end zone, and Kappa Sig missed a pass in the end zone.

Still tied at 9-9, the game went into a second overtime. This time PKT seemed to have the game wrapped up, scoring to take a 10-9 lead which lasted until the 40-second mark, when Kappa Sig tied it up again at 10-10.

The game went into its third and final overtime with PKT looking tired. Kappa Sig seemed to sense a win, as they scored what turned out to be the game-winning point two minutes into the period.

On the next play, Daly stole the frisbee, characterizing the play for the rest of the period, as Kappa Sig was able to frustrate PKT's offensive efforts for the remainder of the game, finally winning it 11-10.

The PDT versus Next House game was anticlimactic, although PDT's win was a bit surprising. Each team had been the runner-up in its A-league division.

Next House played well through the first half,taking the lead 6-4. Play through the second half was inconsistent, as control repeatedly changed hands.

PDT came back in the second half, scoring in stretches, but still making mistakes. Its first score came six minutes into the half, and it added another a minute later.

Defensively, both teams performed well. Each team stole the frisbee in turn, but while PDT was able to capitalize and score again, Next House missed a catchable pass in the end zone.

Next House recovered in the last five minutes of the half, scoring twice to take the lead, 9-8. PDT overcame mistakes once again, though, scoring with three minutes left, then again with two minutes left to regain and keep the lead at 10-9.

PDT's final minute of play was a microcosm of its whole game. A good defensive play, with PDT stealing the frisbee from Next House, was wasted when the frisbee was dropped in the end zone.

Next House had the opportunity to tie the score, but PDT knocked the frisbee down in the end zone, and was able to score again, sealing the 11-9 win.

PDT will face Kappa Sig in the finals tonight. If Kappa Sig wins, it will be the eigth consecutive year that it has finished first in the A-league.