The Tech - Online EditionMIT's oldest and largest
newspaper & the first
newspaper published
on the web
Boston Weather: 63.0°F | Fair

A look at pornography, Goetz and other issues

[vb.25,.26,.28,.99,0]

A look at pornography,

Goetz and other issues

To the Editor:

It has recently come to my attention that I seem to have finished my degree requirements. This means that I can write a "Dear The Tech" letter with the wisdom of an alumnus. (It also means that I've joined the ranks of the unemployed, but we won't talk about that).

But let's get right into the meat of contemporary controversy, starting with my perennial favorite scratching post, the Undergraduate Association. The coma hasn't lifted; my guess is that the UA Council is just as brain-dead as the late General Assembly.

Think about it for a minute: does the undergraduate population at MIT really need a government? Of course not. The UA is just a silly club for bored people who want to play Senator. Rather than having these people sitting around bickering, thinking that they have some sort of power, you undergraduates have a unique opportunity.

There are two real teams running for UAP, right? Shades of Gumby! There's a good chance that they'll split the normal 60 percent of the vote, leaving 40 percent for... Stove and Cat! You have a real chance to kill the UA this time!

Next topic: Bernhard Goetz. I don't know anything about him except what I read in the newspaper, and I don't trust the newspaper. What I do know about is Objectivism (I read about it in the newspaper). Objectivism is the philosophy that if you make a conscious decision about something, then you should write 4000 words of prose so thick that nobody can get through it even with a machete, and publish it somewhere. It should be authoritative, self-referential, and continued on the back page. It's too bad that Ergo is gone (or is it?), because it kept all of this flaming out of The Tech.

Nobody has countered Mr. Fujinaka's letter ["Problems stem from crayon boxes," Feb. 26]. First of all, I admit to keeping some things in a purloined milk crate. I'd be happy to pay for a milk crate, but the trendy "modular boxes" that you can buy at FFC in Central Square just aren't as good as a genuine industrial grade milk crate. And besides, burnt sienna was one of my favorite crayon colors, along with burnt umber. And they only come 64 to a box.

But crayons were always such a phallic symbol in elementary school. Speaking of sex (nice transition, eh?), the anti-porno protestors weren't very numerous at "The Opening of Misty Beethoven." Only 25 people, gee, I'll bet a lot more than that attended the film just to support their right to do so, without really being interested in the film. I had actually seen it before, and went even though it was a lousy film. It's lousy because it's a really corny parody of "Pygmalion."

By the way, if you think it was degrading to women, then you probably should avoid "My Fair Lady," in which Liza Doolittle is brought from being a beggar to the glory of being a counterfeit member of formal British society, thanks to Prof. Higgins, who is constantly portrayed as her superior. And what happens in the end? She fetches his slippers, taking on the role of the subservient "little woman." And what about a film like "Soylent Green," shown at the LSC sci-fi marathon<>

[el-101l]

this year, in which a woman is supplied with each apartment and referred to as "furniture"?

Pornography opponents used to say, "These films offend me", but the reply was "Well, don't go see them, stupid!" Now the complaint is, "Men see porno films and then harass women. It's documented!" Well, I finally saw some of the documentation. It was just as I thought: a couple of rapists admitted that they had been driven to it by porno films. Did you expect that they'd try to take full credit for a felony? Of course not! They tried to put the blame somewhere else! ("I didn't want to punt the problem set, but the video game wasted my time!")

Whatever happened to "majority rule and minority rights"? A lot of people seem to be pulling for " `morality' rule and the majority bites". (Listen up, Shirley!) Nobody should be able to stifle others just because they want to impose their uptight attitude about sex on everybody else. Listen, I've spoken with a number of people who have actually had sex and the consensus is that it's good!

Now get off our case!

Jean-Joseph Cot'e '83->

[el58p]