Department of Chemical Engineering establishes new professorship
The Department of Chemical Engineering has recently announced the creation of the Raymond F. Baddour (1949) Chemical Engineering Professorship, a title meant for a distinguished faculty member within the department.
The professorship’s namesake, Baddour, who is currently the Lammot du Pont Professor Emeritus of Chemical Engineering, was the head of the chemical engineering department from 1969 to 1976. He received his MS in chemical engineering in 1949 and his ScD from MIT in 1951. In 1970, he founded MIT’s Environmental Laboratory and became its first director, according to an MIT News Office release.
As head of the chemical engineering department, Baddour expanded the department’s programs in applied chemistry, bioengineering, and energy/environmental engineering. He also played an integral role in planning and funding the construction of the Ralph Landau Building (Building 66), the space now primarily occupied by Course 10.
Baddour has produced more than 65 publications, holds 16 patents, and has founded 16 companies including Amgen, a company dedicated to the development of biopharmaceuticals and biotechnology.
The department has named Professor Bernhardt L. Trout MS ’90 as the first to receive this professorship. Trout is currently the director of the Novartis-MIT Center for Continuous Manufacturing and the co-chair of the Singapore-MIT Alliance Program on Chemical and Pharmaceutical Engineering.
Trout has published more than 150 papers and is the recipient of the 2014 Council for Chemical Collaboration Award and the 2014 AlChE Excellence in Process Development Research Award, according to MIT News. His research focuses on molecular engineering in biopharmaceutical formulation, pharmaceutical crystallization, and pharmaceutical manufacturing.
—Patricia Z. Dominguez