Six elected to Nat’l Acad. of Engineering
Five MIT professors and one corporation member were elected to the National Academy of Engineering, the academy announced Wednesday:
• Cynthia Barnhart PhD ’88, professor of civil and environmental engineering and engineering systems, director of Transportation@MIT and co-director of MIT’s Operations Research Center.
• Gang Chen PhD ’99, professor of mechanical engineering and director of Pappalardo Micro and Nano Engineering Laboratories.
• Robert E. Cohen, professor of chemical engineering and co-director of the DuPont-MIT Alliance, and chair of the PhD CEP Steering Committee in the Department of Chemical Engineering.
• Andrew J. Whittle ScD ’87, head of the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering.
• Alan S. Willsky ’69 professor of electrical engineering and computer science and co-director of Laboratory for Information and Decision Systems.
• Arthur Gelb ’61, corporation member (chairman of the ESD visiting committee, and member of the EECS, Media Lab, Aero/Astro, and Brain & Cog. Sci visiting committees).